slug 12 bore

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

slug 12 bore

#1 Post by Dellboy »

After unearthing a lot of lead in decided i might load some slug

i have a pot just need a recipe (straight lead or mix something else in )and recomendation for a mould .

And a sensible load please
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: slug 12 bore

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

What are you doing with the slug? Its just if you're shooting IPSC rulebook competitions it would need to make minimum power factor (PF) and that can have a deciding impact on which mould you use.

The Lee 7/8oz mould is popular but due to the 'lightweight' (372gr wtf ) nature of the of the slug you have to get it going rather rapidly to make PF. I started with that but then moved to the mould everyone just calls the 'Russian mould'. This one makes a giant airgun pellet type slug (like the Lyman) and has the benefits of taking a number of different inserts so you can have slugs weighing from 26g to 34g.

This place sells it here (and a variety of others) but you can buy them direct on Ebay as well;

https://russianslugmould.com/home/

I use the 32g/494gr insert and am currently using 20.5gr of CSB5 to push it (Starting load was 19gr and max was 23grs). I only just started developing this load when CV19 kicked off so while I know it runs my gun reliably (one of the most important factors for my needs), I haven't properly tested its accuracy with my case/wad combinations. N.B at present i'm using Cheddite primed cases 8mm brass with a B&P Z-15 wad with a 3mm nitro card in and a frangible disc to top it off (i'm roll crimping mine)

I'm also going to try PSB5 powder when restrictions permit.

Currently shotgun homeloading supplies are extremely bad so unless you've already got some stuff you may have to make do with what you can scavenge.

I'm just using pure lead as i'm using plastic wads.

If you're using the cartridges in a semi-auto, especially a magazine fed one, the best tip I can give is getting a case finishing tool. It puts a chamfer on the lip of the case and massively improves feeding. They come in degrees of chamferishness (technical term) from 1-4 with 1 being the mildest and 4 being the harshest, I use a 2. I got mine from Folkstone Engineering Supplies.
DVC
bewildered
Home club or Range: Pinewood

#3 Post by bewildered »

I began shooting the 1oz Lee slug several years ago inside a plastic wad on top of 21.6 grains of Vectan AS, a frangible disc to cover the slug and a roll crimp to finish off. All this coutesy of John at Folkestone Engineering Supplies (FES), a really great bloke and very helpful. Accuracy was good even by my low standards and it was quite a pleasant load to shoot.
I shoot all my slug at Bisley, just hire Winans and have a morning's shooting or by the hour so nothing serious. At Bisley we can only use plastic wads if the slug and wad remain attached after firing so I had to rethink the above. The problem with the Lee slug is its small diameter. It even rattles through a full choke and with no side protection it just flies all over the place when you fire it. I tried gluing and screwing the slug to the wad and making a paper cylinder to fit round the slug without a wad and accuracy was rubbish. Paper patching with soft kitchen roll (an idea from Andy Allwood) improved things but not by much in my case. While the Lee mould is a great design (and cheap!) I have reluctantly pensioned it off and bought a 12 gauge mould from MP Moulds who you'll find on the internet. The service they gave was outstanding, ordered on Saturday and I got it on Monday. I've no idea how but who am I to complain. It is made of brass, a double cavity job and a joy to behold. It's almost a shame to pour nasty hot lead into it. The slug is like a big airgun pellet and is heavier than the Lee at about 1.4 oz with a diameter of about .730 inches so a good fit even through a cylinder choke. I use soft lead to cast them. Load development will be underway as soon as we are allowed back on the ranges.
If anyone has managed to load a Lee slug without a plastic wad and get reasonable accuracy I'd certainly like to hear about it.
Blackstuff

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

Bewildered makes a very good point, some ranges do not permit the use of plastic wads (or in the case of Bisley plastic wads that separate from the slug), this would complicate matters
DVC
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#5 Post by Dellboy »

Blackstuff wrote:Bewildered makes a very good point, some ranges do not permit the use of plastic wads (or in the case of Bisley plastic wads that separate from the slug), this would complicate matters

was thinking of trying to stay away from plastic for that very reason ..
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#6 Post by mag41uk »

If you look at MP moulds he makes two versions of the Lyman "air gun pellet" mould like wot bewildered has.
One is for loading in a plaswad and the other isn't as it is larger in diameter.
I have one of the svarog moulds that you screw a plastic wad too.
Benefits are that you have a full diameter slug and it is better stabilised.
Also no wads littering the range floor.
Before siarm became vat registered factory gualandi slugs were cheap enough to buy.
Looking forward to butt zero becoming available for some long range testing.
Have to take my dad - bewildered - with me!
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#7 Post by mag41uk »

This is the link to the mp full bore mould:

https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-12g ... bore-slug/

There is vat and postage on top but it is a two cavity mould, they are superbly well made, its in stock and about what you would pay for the Lyman over here.
No connection to MP moulds other than as a satisfied purchaser.
Blackstuff

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

On the Russian mould website I linked above he also sells the slugs that the wad physically connects to the slug

This guys YouTube channel has a wealth of info and covers those types of slugs too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO0_Jv9fLaM
DVC