Hirtenberg.38sp cases

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Lampuki

Hirtenberg.38sp cases

#1 Post by Lampuki »

I’ve acquired some nickel, Hirtenberg cases in .38sp.

Have any of you any info regarding them? Just wondering if they are any good as they look a bit flimsy!

Cheers
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: Hirtenberg.38sp cases

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

I've used unplated Hirtenberg cases. No problem with them.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#3 Post by Daryll »

I won't use nickel cases... i had a bad experience once and have never used them since..

If you have your press set up for brass, you'll have to adjust your crimping die for nickel..
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

Daryll wrote:I won't use nickel cases... i had a bad experience once and have never used them since..

If you have your press set up for brass, you'll have to adjust your crimping die for nickel..
That's assuming you crimp of course.
Lampuki

#5 Post by Lampuki »

Daryll wrote:I won't use nickel cases... i had a bad experience once and have never used them since..

What was the bad experience?
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#6 Post by Lever357 »

When I started reloading I bought 1200 used Winchester .38sp nickel cases - dont know how many times they had been used before me and I have used them a lot and no problems so far.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Chapuis

#7 Post by Chapuis »

Lampuki wrote:I’ve acquired some nickel, Hirtenberg cases in .38sp.

Have any of you any info regarding them? Just wondering if they are any good as they look a bit flimsy!

Cheers
Haven't seen that brand around for a very long time. I have a feeling that they were either absorbed into RUAG or are no longer in the civilian ammunition market.
I do know that at one time back in the eighties they supplied the NRA with .308 ammunition.

And as for nickel plated cases you can keep my share of the blessed things, far too brittle. The plating was always peeling off and they only lasted a third as long as brass cases.
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#8 Post by dodgyrog »

I have to say that I have yet to have a problem with nickle plated cases.
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#9 Post by Daryll »

Lampuki wrote:

What was the bad experience?
It was partly my own fault.. it was a couple of days before Pheonix several years ago and I realised that I didn't have enough ammo loaded, and the only available cases were some nickel ones at the back of the cupboard.

I quickly loaded them up and trotted down to Bisley... half way through the first comp I started having problems with the ammo not cycling in my Marlin, and the bullets were moving down into the case.

Basically because the nickel cases were thinner, the crimp die, set up for brass, wasn't crimping them, and the pressure of a fully loaded mag tube was pushing the bullets down into the case.

I've never used nickel cases since...
Sim G
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Sim G »

I’ve been mix and matching .38spl cases for nigh on 35 years. Never found the mixture to affect results in either old school revolvers, LBRs or lever guns over short ranges. Beauty is as well is that they are still so cheap and available, that they are nigh on disposable!

Unlike rare rifle brass that I treat with kid gloves and give each of them a name!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!