.223 Reloading. Worth it?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

Re: .223 Reloading. Worth it?

#11 Post by Geek »

I reload for accuracy and I currently reload 6.5CM, .308 , .223 and 6BR (.38/.357 and .44 to follow when I purchase the equipment).

I have a .223 Remington 700 (20 inch barrel, with a 1 in 9 twist) in an MDT stock and shoot it out to 600 yards (see picture), I doubt I would achieve this accuracy with factory ammunition?
Attachments
200809 - 600yards BR(1).JPG
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

#12 Post by J4mes »

Mike95 wrote:I note PPU .223 factory ammo at £86 a hundred.. reloading must be cheaper.. the brass seems to last a long time..

Mike95
You can buy a remington freedom bucket of 300 rounds for £140, although I've no idea if it's any use or not!
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#13 Post by Pete »

I just priced reloading .223 using Lapua 77 grain Scenar "L" bullets, Lapua match cases, (assuming 10 firings), RS52 powder, and KVB-223M primers........

It comes out at 54p a pop.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Sim G
Past Supporter

#14 Post by Sim G »

PPU .223 is 86 quid per 100?!!!! Judas H. Priest!!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

What happened to the good old days of Barnaul 55grain at twenty quid per hundred.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#16 Post by Sim G »

And I bet once Ursula von der Leyen gets to really tightening the “punishment screws” that will go past a quid a round!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#17 Post by shugie »

Ovenpaa wrote:What happened to the good old days of Barnaul 55grain at twenty quid per hundred.

That Barnaul was filthy stuff though, I wouldn't want to leave a rifle that had much of that through it uncleaned for very long.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Blackstuff

#18 Post by Blackstuff »

If youre getting through lots of ammo or youre currently buy v expensive hunting stuff then it will likely be worth it, especially if you end up reloading other calibres as well.

I started reloading because it was becoming increasingly difficult to get the same ammo everytime and as its now stupidly expensive
DVC
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#19 Post by kennyc »

Ovenpaa wrote:What happened to the good old days of Barnaul 55grain at twenty quid per hundred.
from memory you sold it all! (at £18 a hundred :p :p )
Ovenpaa

#20 Post by Ovenpaa »

kennyc wrote:...from memory you sold it all! (at £18 a hundred :p :p )
I actually shot that stuff out to 1000 yards, admittedly it would be classed at harassing fire however it was in the 4&5 rings occasionally and that with an 17.5" barrel as well.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal