.38 Special minimum COL ?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
mrbeech
Home club or Range: L&DSC + NSSC

.38 Special minimum COL ?

#1 Post by mrbeech »

Hello there, I’ve started assembling a couple of test rounds to familiarise myself with my Lee Precision single stage press and equipment. I’m trying to understand the different operations required and the principles to assembling the cartridges correctly before adding primers and powder to the equation.

I sized, trimmed the case to 1.145” and expanded the case mouth to receive the bullet.

I’ve got some GM Hardcast Lead RN-FP 158gr bullets that have a crimping groove. If I seat the bullet to the centre of the crimping groove this make the COL 1.425”.

Is this an acceptable COL?

The COL could vary between 1.415” to 1.435” depending on the case trimmed length (as per SAAMI) but these lengths seem to be under the COL suggested in different reloading manuals using a ‘similar’ 158gr bullet.

Any thoughts ? Should I forget the crimping groove and seat the bullet to the stated COL ?

Many thanks in advance for your replies and advice.
Best regards.
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: .38 Special minimum COL ?

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

Just bear in mind that a wadcutter sits flush with the case mouth so COL is not all that important in my opinion
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#3 Post by mag41uk »

If they fit the firearm you are good to go.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

COL with 38spl is more to do with revolvers is my understanding, as it will headspace on the rim in your rifle. as long as it feeds from your mag tube properly (more an issue on 1873 clones) and isn't jammed into the rifling, you'll be fine. I tend to seat to just below the crimp cannelure, getting the crimp die to bring the case nicely flush when factory crimped.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

If you are loading for a 38/357 underlever using 38 cases its not an issue just seat to the crimp groove.