Ultrasonic cleaning process ?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
mrbeech
Home club or Range: L&DSC + NSSC

Ultrasonic cleaning process ?

#1 Post by mrbeech »

I was wondering what process and producers you all follow with regards to case preparation.

Do you ultrasonic clean used cases before decapping & sizing and then ultrasonic clean for a second time to remove any lube from the cases after decapping & size and any spent powder from the primer pocket plus any swarf after trimming ?

Or forego the initial ultrasonic cleaning, lube the used cases, decap & size, (trim if necessary) then ultrasonic clean the cases to remove the lube, spent powder from the case + primer pocket and any swarf from trimming?

By the way I’m using a Lee carbide 38/357 sizing die.

Many thanks in advance for your replies and advice.
Best regards.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Ultrasonic cleaning process ?

#2 Post by 20series »

Hi

for all my rifle calibres I decap with a lee universal decap die, clean in the ultrasonic then dry in the oven.

resize with imperial wax and wipe clean with a cloth. I am not bothered by how shiney they are as long as they're clean and don't mess up my dies

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
mrbeech
Home club or Range: L&DSC + NSSC

#3 Post by mrbeech »

Thanks 20series.
There's a time advantage doing it that your way will save at least one ultrasonic clean and drying cycle. Thanks for info.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

universal decap, clean, then reload. doubt you'll need to resize a 38spl. doubt you'd need to lube them either. i've never lubed any cases like that. Thats why I'm only just learning best way to lube M1Carbine brass, as that's tapered, unlike all my other pistol type calibres.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

mrbeech wrote:I was wondering what process and producers you all follow with regards to case preparation.

Do you ultrasonic clean used cases before decapping & sizing and then ultrasonic clean for a second time to remove any lube from the cases after decapping & size and any spent powder from the primer pocket plus any swarf after trimming ?

Or forego the initial ultrasonic cleaning, lube the used cases, decap & size, (trim if necessary) then ultrasonic clean the cases to remove the lube, spent powder from the case + primer pocket and any swarf from trimming?

By the way I’m using a Lee carbide 38/357 sizing die.

Many thanks in advance for your replies and advice.
Best regards.

If you are using carbide dies there is no need to lube your cases. Dont get hung up on cleaning your cases I clean my 38 cases probably after six months use Some of them I can not remember having ever cleaned them.
Mdwysc
Home club or Range: Bisley

#6 Post by Mdwysc »

bradaz11 wrote:universal de-cap, clean, then reload. doubt you'll need to resize a 38spl. doubt you'd need to lube them either. I've never lubed any cases like that. That's why I'm only just learning best way to lube M1Carbine brass, as that's tapered, unlike all my other pistol type calibers.
Hi,
I have been reloading 30carbine for a few years now. Just use a Lee carbide die, no need to lube. Once re-sized I clean them in a wet tumbler (I like them shiny, no other reason).
Lastly I measure every one with a digital caliper just to be sure they are under maximum length. I have never had to trim one yet and some cases I have loaded 15 times. Never had one split either.
For the indoor range its 3.3gr Bullseye and a small pistol primer with a 110gr lead head. Outdoors its normal FMJ load.
Nerf pistol reloading expert
Super soaker long distance world champion
cap pistol quick draw 56 times world champion
pea shooter 15 yards indoor Homewood Comp 1981 undefeated middleweight title holder
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#7 Post by bradaz11 »

Mdwysc wrote:
bradaz11 wrote:universal de-cap, clean, then reload. doubt you'll need to resize a 38spl. doubt you'd need to lube them either. I've never lubed any cases like that. That's why I'm only just learning best way to lube M1Carbine brass, as that's tapered, unlike all my other pistol type calibers.
Hi,
I have been reloading 30carbine for a few years now. Just use a Lee carbide die, no need to lube. Once re-sized I clean them in a wet tumbler (I like them shiny, no other reason).
Lastly I measure every one with a digital caliper just to be sure they are under maximum length. I have never had to trim one yet and some cases I have loaded 15 times. Never had one split either.
For the indoor range its 3.3gr Bullseye and a small pistol primer with a 110gr lead head. Outdoors its normal FMJ load.
yeah I've never had to previously either, but I definately do now. ripped the bottoms off about 6 last time I tried.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#8 Post by hitchphil »

Tumble as off the range in the nasty stuff gritty well used stuff, bit of dax lube & deprime / resize in 1. Salt bath anneal the necks only, tumble in a not so nasty batch of grit. Trim, deburr, prime, powder to 0.5grain in batches of 50 & bullet seated to std depth. Shoots better than previous RWS or GGG, not sure if better than 2020 GGG that seems especially special!
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#9 Post by Daryll »

Pistol calibre cases get walnut tumbled then straight back into the progresive press...

Rifle cases get U/S cleaned, dried in the sun or in a food dessicator depending on weather/season. Resize (using Imperial wax), trim, and then walnut tumbled to clean the wax off... I put a strip of a tumbledrier sheet in with the walnut... collects the wax and makes the cases smell floral. :D