Handloading diary/log

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Handloading diary/log

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

FredB, I do what sounds to be exactly the same thing on a spreadsheet :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#12 Post by Sim G »

Load data does not last forever. Simply, the powders of yesterday change slightly in composition because of changes in raw ingredients. This is why published data changes and loading references should be replaced as well, and the utilised load should be developed again.

Hence, data for future reference, apart from curiosity, is not as reliable as it was.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Blackstuff »

FredB wrote:Why? I have always reloaded all of my CF ammo---starting in the mid '70s in volume production although i did load a few before that.
Never recorded anything other than the information on the label when the round went in the box. Never needed to, never wanted to, never wanted to look back on what I used to shoot.
Fred
Its mainly for load development, but also for info to feed into ballistic calculators as i'm going to try to go further afield with my fullbore rifles as at present its rare to get beyond 300m. It also helps with the police if I ever want to increase my holdings in the future.

I've already been turned down once as they said I had no evidence that i was regularly buying my allowance limit. When I pointed out that was because I handload they said they'd need evidence of it and actually suggested getting RFD's to fill in my cert when I bought primers. Unsurprisingly no RFD I asked to do that would. troutslapping
DVC
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#14 Post by Triffid »

Blackstuff wrote:I've already been turned down once as they said I had no evidence that i was regularly buying my allowance limit. When I pointed out that was because I handload they said they'd need evidence of it and actually suggested getting RFD's to fill in my cert when I bought primers. Unsurprisingly no RFD I asked to do that would. troutslapping
I just keep all my spent primers in an old powder container. Then if asked for evidence of how ammunition I'm using at renewal time, I just hand the full container to the FEO and invite him to count them!

Triffid
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#15 Post by FredB »

I used to believe that, one day, I would find a use for spent primers. I collected theem in jam jars. The years rolled by and i had six jam jars full on the gun room shelves and still no clue as to what they could be used for. I threw them away, expecting to want them back within a week or two: it didn't happen.
Fred
Landrover 130
Home club or Range: North Cotes

#16 Post by Landrover 130 »

The only other thing i record is case capacity averaged over a handfull of cases with the same headstamp

Helps when using something like GRT or Quickload when running bullet or powder combos to see what is worth trying when developing a new load and gives me a reference point to measure a new batch of brass with the same headstamp against