Powder for 44 Special and 44 Mag

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Scrumbag
Home club or Range: BSRC & HPRPC

Powder for 44 Special and 44 Mag

#1 Post by Scrumbag »

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a good powder to shoot both 44 mag and 44 special out to 50yds (maybe further) with cast lead 200 and 240 gr RNFP bullets out of a 20" barrel 1892 clone.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've done OK with Unique but if there was something that went consistently through a powder thrower that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Scrummy
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

Re: Powder for 44 Special and 44 Mag

#2 Post by DaveB »

I used to use IMR 4227.
GlockworkOrange
Home club or Range: Parkstone Gun Club

#3 Post by GlockworkOrange »

I use 7gr of Viht N340 for a fairly soft .44 Mag gallery load, gives me 950 FPS with 240gr cast bullets from my rifle. Also tried 6gr of Red Dot but it was a bit hot for my indoor club. Probably good for 50m though. I have no idea how these are in a power thrower though, sorry!
Sim G

#4 Post by Sim G »

6.0gns of Unique with a 240gn RNFP. A special load out of a magnum case. It’s the benchmark in our club. Good out to 50. 100+ go to magnum powders. 2400 a long time favourite with cast. N110 for jacketed.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Plecotus
Home club or Range: Monmmouth & District Rifle Club, NRA, Chepstow Rifle Club

#5 Post by Plecotus »

6.5gr Red Dot with a 240gr bullet works well in my Marlin
Mattnall
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#6 Post by Mattnall »

Unique (6.5-7gn), bluedot (13gn) or Bullseye (4.8gn) are what I use.
That's with cast and jacketed/copper washed bullets and usually out of my Marlin and I very rarely shoot it beyond 50yds. The Bullseye loads are great at 25yds with 220 or 240gn bullets.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Plumose
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#7 Post by Plumose »

Another Bullseye user here.
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#8 Post by mag41uk »

Vectan BA10 or AS.
Maxam CSB5
All these are economical and cover every caliber we shoot in the UK out of gallery rifles.
Is Bullseye still very dirty? Gave up using it in pistol days because of the fouling.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#9 Post by dromia »

Swiss 3f filled to 1/10" above bullet seating depth then compressed that 1/10"th, no wad bullet seated 'pon powder and crimped.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
bradaz11
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#10 Post by bradaz11 »

I use vectan a1 in my cowboy 44spl loads, a very nice accurate load. A1 is little flat squares, I get very consistent measuring through my lee drum. I was 4.8gr behind a 200gr bullet. i find it to be very economical given the price per tub too.

where in the world are you? those club abbreviations mean nothing to me
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns