Does anyone know what firearm these are for?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Does anyone know what firearm these are for?

#1 Post by Mattnall »

I hope this is in the right section.

In the darkest part of the workshop I have found a load of strip clips (or chargers, or whatever they're called).
I believe they may be for 9mm as the 9mm cases fit in them nicely and 5.56 doesn't quite stay in. They hold 8 rounds. I haven't gone through my collection to see what else fits but I'd guess it'd be a more common military round to go to the expense of making them. Most are plated with nickel or similar and one or two look to be parkerised.
Some are numbered with a letter (O mostly, one or two X and a C) and a number (all low 50s) which may be a year number.
The construction is similar to standard NATO 5.56 strips with the spring clip in the middle to hold the rounds in place but no tab at the ends.

Any idea what firearm they could be for?
Thanks.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
DL.

Re: Does anyone know what firearm these are for?

#2 Post by DL. »

Steyr Hahn.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

Even has almost identical (unusually shaped) rounds in the pic!
Attachments
Steyr-Hahn_M1912.jpg
DVC
Mattnall

#4 Post by Mattnall »

Blackstuff wrote:Even has almost identical (unusually shaped) rounds in the pic!
Thanks, so for the Steyr.
Yes, the rounds are some homeloads that were handed in, not much call for this sort of home-cast bullet at the moment.

Next question, are they of any use to anyone? I have over 25 and no need for them.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
spikedueller
Home club or Range: Minsterly

#5 Post by spikedueller »

These aren't for the Steyr originally as that's chambered in 9mm Styer 9x23 not parabellum 9x19

As originally loaded they were Czech 1950's sub machine gun ammo in a 40 round pack, steel jacketed, corrosive and very warm, even by 2Z standards.

https://www.cdvs.us/product/9mm-czech-b ... ound-pack/.

The clips actually work in the Steyr as there's only 1/64" difference in length and the cartridge head sizes is close enough to make no odds in feeding according to the discussion on the IAA
https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t ... lips/10876

The gun was https://modernfirearms.net/en/submachin ... sa-23-eng/ I believe Forgotten Weapons has done a video on this and mentions the unique clip loader that was built in.
Mattnall

#6 Post by Mattnall »

I've had someone on another forum tell me they think 1950's Czech 9mm which were packaged in them (5 strips of 8, 40 round boxes)

BTW the ammo didn't come with them, they were just a few rounds I had around the workshop that fitted the strips.

ETA:
Found this on eBay America:
ITEM LISTING

At $16 for 2 they might be worth sending over there. shakeshout

FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#7 Post by FredB »

During the 1970s, many tens of thousands of these surplus 9mm rounds were available. They were all in the stripper clips, some of which I still have, and some of them had slight water damage. They were Berdan primed. Performance was variable and so, for competition use. we would pull them, discard the powder and reload them with Unique. They were then very accurate in my Luger. The long range pistol regulations measured barrel length from the front of a chambered round and so a 4" Luger was a pocket pistol. Mine shot to zero at 100 yds and so we would all enter long range pocket pistol with it---it was a guarantee of at least a standard medal score.
Fred
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#8 Post by channel12 »

I was going say Eastern European 9mm milsurp submachine gun ammo. I remember buying the stuff on stripper clips from the club shop early in my shooting career to put through my FEG Browning Hi-power copy.
Mattnall

#9 Post by Mattnall »

Thanks FredB, interesting stuff.

Can't think where I got them from, I don't remember seeing them during the pistol days.

DanTheMan
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#10 Post by DanTheMan »

Mattnall wrote: Next question, are they of any use to anyone? I have over 25 and no need for them.
Swap for some Tokarev ammo that's on the same stripper clips ?