Preferred FMJ bullet for 7.5x55 Swiss

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: Preferred FMJ bullet for 7.5x55 Swiss

#11 Post by kennyc »

Sim G wrote:As long as it’s a quality bullet. Personally I have not found PPU to be so, in several calibers. Their brass I’ve found good, but the only advantage to their billets is a price point.
I use them regularly to 600 yds, I find the only difference between them and the GP11 is the POI as I don't push the edges in my powder charges and the BC is different anyway as they are not an exact copy.
for a 3MOA service rifle fired off an elbow with battle sights I really would be amazed if anyone could tell the difference at that range, they also work at 1000 yds but I save my GP11 for that anyway.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#12 Post by Sim G »

For a 3 MOA service rifle and battle sighs, it could make all the difference. Miss the black or even the board completely, using poor quality bullets means you’re never sure if your skills or the bullet caused that. Consistency is the mantra and at those longer distances is where it matters. That’s all considering if accuracy is the intention or just a by-product of the experience.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
kennyc

#13 Post by kennyc »

Sim G wrote:For a 3 MOA service rifle and battle sighs, it could make all the difference. Miss the black or even the board completely, using poor quality bullets means you’re never sure if your skills or the bullet caused that. Consistency is the mantra and at those longer distances is where it matters. That’s all considering if accuracy is the intention or just a by-product of the experience.
that hasnt been my experience, and I think you are overstating the inaccuracy of PPU bullets, if I wasnt hitting the black at 600 yds I would be very worried, however as that has never been an issue I will remain using the same old PPU bullets (and should I start to wory I can change to GP11 to check)
andrew375

#14 Post by andrew375 »

I have used the ppu bullets out to a thousand without a problem.

This is a 300 yard plot from last year.
Screenshot_20201015-123426_Firefox.jpg
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Jamesthut
Home club or Range: London Historic Shooting Club

#15 Post by Jamesthut »

I have also found PPU bullets to be absolutely fine for this calibre. Mostly 100 - 300 yards though.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#16 Post by Sim G »

kennyc wrote:... and I think you are overstating the inaccuracy of PPU bullets...

No, I don't think I am. I don't shoot surplus rifles either, except for a No5 now and again. In the five rifles that I do shoot for accuracy, four for targets and one for game, the .224, 7mm and .30 cal PPU bullets I've used didn't come close to Sierra, Nosler or Hornady.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

kennyc

#17 Post by kennyc »

Sim G wrote:
kennyc wrote:... and I think you are overstating the inaccuracy of PPU bullets...

No, I don't think I am. I don't shoot surplus rifles either, except for a No5 now and again. In the five rifles that I do shoot for accuracy, four for targets and one for game, the .224, 7mm and .30 cal PPU bullets I've used didn't come close to Sierra, Nosler or Hornady.
and there we have it ! sorry but you are trying to compare target rifles and Surplus military rifles whilst ignoring the basics, 3 MOA is a good general standard for a military rifle, some will do better a lot worse, whats a similar standard for your target rifles?
I could load my K31 with top of the line target bullets or PPU, the observed effect on a target when fired free hand standing, or off an elbow with the supplied sights is going to be the thin end of "F" all, the financial difference on the other hand would allow considerably more practise for the same cost, and that would have an effect on the accuracy of my shooting :p
I'm not suggesting PPU as a precision target bullet (although there was a member on here who found PPU shot as well as SMK in his CSR rifle at a considerable cost saving ,especially considering the amount he shot ) I am however suggesting that in 10 years of use I have been perfectly happy with them as a substitute for the swiss service ammo (which has a worldwide reputation as a consistant "match quality" ammo )
Jorden
Home club or Range: ponteland

#18 Post by Jorden »

when I first tried PPU bullets I weighed each one and miked each one, soon got sick of that, they were all exactly the same, which is all you can ask of a bullet.
andrew375

#19 Post by andrew375 »

This is with privi 155gr match in my match rifle at 900 yards. Note that I don't do much shooting beyond 100 yards and this is with aperture sights, jacket and sling, so the shots not in the "V" are down to me.
Attachments
Privi155gr@900.jpg
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#20 Post by Sim G »

kennyc wrote:and there we have it ! sorry but you are trying to compare target rifles and Surplus military rifles whilst ignoring the basics,

No, I am not comparing target rifles to surplus rifles. The comparison is bullets. I made the suggestion that the bullet used in the K31 should be a quality bullet. That’s it. And it’s based on trying different budget bullets against others, with all other things being equal.

Given that the K31 is regarded as an astonishingly accurate service rifle, with testimony all over the Internet, perhaps you should try a better bullet. Nothing I’ve read so far puts the K31 as a 3 MOA rifle.