310 Cadet

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
PeterN

310 Cadet

#1 Post by PeterN »

I have been reloading for my .310 Cadet for a few years now . A few years ago, I inherited a few tins of Nobel powder from a friend who was emigrating to Cyprus. There were two tins of pistol 3, one still sealed, and part used tins of Pistol 2, Rifle 3 and Shotgun 82. The pistol 2 tin is not far off empty but still some left. Up to now, I have not used any of this powder. I thought that I may as well give the pistol 2 powder a try in the Cadet to see how it performs. So, I loaded up 15 rounds using the suggested load of 5.5 grains from the Nobel loading manual. I tried these out yesterday. The first shot resulted in a hard extraction. The extractor struggled to move the case so I tapped it out with a cleaning rod. The odd case does sometimes stick as they are converted .32-20 cases. The second shot had the same result so I stopped there. The primers were a little distorted in that the indentation was forced back some. Normally, the cases just pop out when you drop the lever. Today, I dismantled the remaining 13 rounds. I checked the powder to make sure I had used pistol 2 and not pistol 3 and the powder was definitely pistol 2, at least that was what was in the tin. I checked the weight of each charge on the scale and all were 5.5 grains. I have no confidence in this tin of pistol 2 now and will probably burn it off in the garden. Does anyone know why I seem to be getting over pressure loads? Has the powder degraded? It smells and looks OK. I am using small pistol primers if that makes a difference. The extract from the Nobel manual that I cribbed from a post by Dromia on another forum a few years ago.
BSA Cadet Nobel data.jpg
Regards
Peter.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

Re: 310 Cadet

#2 Post by FredB »

I have been shooting 310 since 1997 and I believe that the Nobel data is just plain wrong. For this purpose l always treated Nobel 2 as a superior form of Unique. 4.2 to 4.5 grn is as much as you should be using.
Fred
Laurie

#3 Post by Laurie »

Pete, I found a couple of sealed tins of Pistol 2 recently long lost in a cupboard. If you stick with it in the 310, they're yours free, gratis and I'll bring them over to Pickering for you.

(Do you use any Viht pistol powders? I have some odds and ends left over from my levergun revolver cartridge days that I want rid of.)
PeterN

#4 Post by PeterN »

If it is the Nobel loading data that is wrong as FredB indicates, I will try the Pistol 2 again with a lower charge. Is the Pistol 3 data in the Nobel book reliable?
Laurie, I will take up your offer on the Pistol 2 tins, thank you. Those and the Pistol 3 I have will probably last me forever.
I don't use any Vit pistol powders. I have most of a 500g tub of N320 with a 1985 date that I bought from Sambrooks to use in the .38 Webley and Enfield revolvers. I believe this would be suitable for the Cadet, but I have no load data for it.
Regards
Peter.