Accurising the .22LR round

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Accurising the .22LR round

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I know we have a few .22 Rimfire shooters on the forum, are any of you doing anything to accurise your rounds. Sorting/batching, or reloading your own etc.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

Re: Accurising the .22LR round

#2 Post by hitchphil »

You can got to Eley & test various batches there vs your gun & will find some seem to suit more than others with tighter resulting groups. For other ammo the only way to do that is buy 100 rnds each of different batches & try them under similar controlled conditions - 50m, gun bolted down (not barrel!) preferably indoors & same conditions, light clean between batches & fire a few fouling shots before measuring.

To accurize the actual ammo you can optimise it by measuring overall weight & eliminate the light / heavy tails of the normal distribution then measure head space & do the same with the thin/thick. I did that on a batch of Eley match & it removed about 10-12% or the rounds, the remaining shot rather well, but not as well as unsorted Lapua CentreX that just seems to 'work well' in my gun. You could do the same with length but I never bothered. The 10% removed became barrel warmers or fouling shots, so not wasted.

The other thing is try a barrel tuner to dampen the standing wave in the barrel to a full wavelength(s) with a node at the muzzle - that may or may not be allowed by competition rules........ best for any competition gun is keep the trigger clean & the insides of the bolt so they operate properly every time.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?

#3 Post by 1066 »

I've tried all sorts to try and eliminate the odd unexplained flyers. - It really p****s me off when you have a string of perfect 10x coming along then there's a 9 that you just know wasn't self induced.

I tried all the usual tricks - weighing, rim thickness, concentricity, stripping all lube off/relubing etc. and although it does cull out a few lemons it doesn't catch them all. I've found that the best way for me is to start with the best ammo, then find one that suite your rifle - The problem is, you buy something like Tenex and find it performs particularly well in your rifle - you go back a couple of months later and buy another stock and it's like totally different ammunition. Fine if you can take your rifle to Eley and try a dozen different lots of Tenex and buy enough of that lot to last a year or so, but it wold be nice if Tenex was Tenex all the same spec.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#4 Post by TattooedGun »

1066 wrote:I've tried all sorts to try and eliminate the odd unexplained flyers. - It really p****s me off when you have a string of perfect 10x coming along then there's a 9 that you just know wasn't self induced.

I tried all the usual tricks - weighing, rim thickness, concentricity, stripping all lube off/relubing etc. and although it does cull out a few lemons it doesn't catch them all. I've found that the best way for me is to start with the best ammo, then find one that suite your rifle - The problem is, you buy something like Tenex and find it performs particularly well in your rifle - you go back a couple of months later and buy another stock and it's like totally different ammunition. Fine if you can take your rifle to Eley and try a dozen different lots of Tenex and buy enough of that lot to last a year or so, but it wold be nice if Tenex was Tenex all the same spec.
I guess the problem then would be if your rifle doesn't like that "spec" then you'd never compete against someone whose rifle really likes that spec.
Peter Leigh
Home club or Range: chepstow Rifle Club

#5 Post by Peter Leigh »

The thing that works for me the best is to just use one batch number days/weeks before the comp starts, say by shooting 200 rounds (this seems to bed the barrel in for that particular round ) and use the same batch number for the actual comp.I have noticed that just changing eley tenex batch numbers in the actual comp is a disaster.(made on different machine I believe..)
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#6 Post by Pippin89 »

TattooedGun wrote:
1066 wrote:I've tried all sorts to try and eliminate the odd unexplained flyers. - It really p****s me off when you have a string of perfect 10x coming along then there's a 9 that you just know wasn't self induced.

I guess the problem then would be if your rifle doesn't like that "spec" then you'd never compete against someone whose rifle really likes that spec.
Not to mention it would really limit them manufacturing capacity as they could only use 1 set of bullet moulds, 1 set of case dies, 1 primer mould, 1 propellant measuring system, 1 bullet seating die.... etc.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

I'm a fairly decent shot, with a number of firearm types. I should be given the amount of practice I've had! But I still reckon I'd never be able to discern the difference between one batch of premium ammunition and another...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!

#8 Post by 1066 »

Sim G wrote:I'm a fairly decent shot, with a number of firearm types. I should be given the amount of practice I've had! But I still reckon I'd never be able to discern the difference between one batch of premium ammunition and another...
I think it depends on what game you're playing Sim. If we stick to thinking about .22lr, standing up unsupported precision at 25 yards I wouldn't tell the difference - A pistol the same, couldn't tell, if it worked reliably I couldn't tell the difference between reasonable or premium.

With prone rifle 25/50/100yds and certainly with benchrest there's certainly a difference. - If the ammunition/rifle you're using isn't capable of keeping them all in the 10 ring, you won't win.

Eley Tenex when shot through their test barrels - the groups of different lots may vary from under 1/2" to over 3/4" at 50 yards. You will never win a match if the best your ammunition can do is score a 95 on a good day.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

That's probably why I decided a long time ago to not shoot .22 rifle competitively. I have two no sorry three .22 rifles a Mauser 45 training rifle and 2 semi auto Club guns that never get used. If they were not on the Club certificate I would get rid of them.
Adamdavi3s
Home club or Range: Tamar Rangers

#10 Post by Adamdavi3s »

Ovenpaa wrote:I know we have a few .22 Rimfire shooters on the forum, are any of you doing anything to accurise your rounds. Sorting/batching, or reloading your own etc.
Have you covered off barrel tuners?
Something I had a discussion about on UKV over Christmas and the consensus was they seemed to be a good idea.
I’m yet to try