Wamadet Berdan decapper

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
PeterN

Wamadet Berdan decapper

#1 Post by PeterN »

A notice appeared at the club a little while ago of a list of items that had been donated by a member for sale to club members, the proceeds to go to the club. No prices are listed, just open to offers. Among the items is a Wamadet Berdan decapper.
This has been used as the top of the larger punch is hammered a bit. The smaller tube still has the original dried on preservative on it and it still has the pimple on the top from when it was machined. I printed off the instructions from the late David Cushman web page.
I don't really need this as I have boxer primed cases for all the calibres that I reload for but I thought it would be nice to have so I got it. I haven't been able to see the chap dealing with the money, so I have not paid for this yet. What should I offer, £20? I don't think anyone else is interested in it.
I had a go with it with mixed results. I tried some South African .303 head stamped A81 7.7 R1M3Z.
I managed to decap 11 of these, some just would not decap.
I tried some .303 head stamped 303MK8Z nny-81. This used to come loose in 250 round cardboard boxes and were covered in a greasy substance that you had to wipe off before shooting.
I had the same result as the SA stuff. I decapped 10 but some would not decap.
I tried some .303 HXP 73. These are boxer primed but I tried them anyway. These all decapped but sometimes needed more than one thump.
I tried some 7.92x57. These are head stamped nny 1980. These along with the nny .303 have a red primer sealant. I could not get any of these to decap.
I tried some 7.62 RG85. These all decapped but some needed more than one thump.
I tried some 7.62 MEN cases. I only got one to decap. I have used the Prime reloader hydropunch on these and some would not decap but most would.
Lastly, I tried some 7.5x55 Swiss G11. These all decapped easily on the first blow. What a relief. I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong or my thumping method was at fault.
I used a 1 1/2 pound claw hammer at first. The ones that did not decap often resulted in the punch bouncing up and falling into the tank or outside the tank. The Swiss G11 decapped using the Lee hard plastic hammer.
If anyone has any experience of using this decapper, I would be interested in any advice on how to decap hard in primers. I presume once they are decapped and reloaded, the primers will pop out like the Swiss G11.
A few pics.
Wamadet berdan 1.jpg
Wamadet berdan 2.jpg
The successful items. On the left the SA .303, the nny .303 and the HXP .303. On the right the G11, The RG85 and the sole MEN.
Wamadet berdan 3.jpg
It was fun and there is a future in the G11 reloading. There are also 2000 berdan primers to go with this, a mix of RWS an No.81. I have not got those yet or offered a price.
Regards
Peter.
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

Re: Wamadet Berdan decapper

#2 Post by dodgyrog »

You need to use a 'lump hammer' and be prepared to give it a wallop!
I rarely have primers refuse to budge.
Fill the cases with water before putting them in the Wamadet to make sure there's enough in the case.
PM me if that doesn't work
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
PeterN

#3 Post by PeterN »

Right, I got a 2 1/2 pound lump hammer and had another go at the cases that would not decap at my first attempt. Success!! They all decapped. A few needed a second thump but all deprimed. The nny 7.92x57 that I could not get a single one to decap when I first tried, mostly decapped at the first blow with the lump hammer. I think I have got this thing sussed now. I have a better feel for the effort needed to make this work. Now to load up a few of these cases to take to the range.
Regards
Peter.
dodgyrog

#4 Post by dodgyrog »

Glad to be of service.
Have you got berdan primers??
PeterN

#5 Post by PeterN »

I have 1500+ of No.81 Berdan primers. I have my name against 2000 Berdan primers that go with the decapper, a mix of RWS and IMI so I am told. I hope to get hold of these in the near future. I also have a tin of 250 No.69 Berdan primers and a tub of 600 odd of the big 1/4 inch primers, mixed in December 1973 and packed in January 1974 according to the label.
Regards
Peter.
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have one as well however mine looks to be a different model. They do work well, just do it outside on a warm summers day as you are going to get wet at some point:)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dodgyrog

#7 Post by dodgyrog »

PeterN wrote:I have 1500+ of No.81 Berdan primers. I have my name against 2000 Berdan primers that go with the decapper, a mix of RWS and IMI so I am told. I hope to get hold of these in the near future. I also have a tin of 250 No.69 Berdan primers and a tub of 600 odd of the big 1/4 inch primers, mixed in December 1973 and packed in January 1974 according to the label.
Regards
Peter.
Great result
PeterN

#8 Post by PeterN »

Ovenpaa said - I have one as well however mine looks to be a different model. They do work well, just do it outside on a warm summers day as you are going to get wet at some point:)

You don't get wet with the Wamadet. Just below the holes in the tube is a rubber O ring. This stops any water coming back up past the plunger. You only get your hands wet tipping the case out over the container.
Regards
Peter.