.303 British Reloading - Which Lee Dies?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Jizy

.303 British Reloading - Which Lee Dies?

#1 Post by Jizy »

Firstly, I've been reloading .38's using the standard 3 Lee die set for a while, so the general basics I know.

This is more specific to the .303 British caliber, as reading across the internet theres mixed opinions between full length resizing and neck resizing only.
Ideally I want to figure out if it would be better for me to go for the Lee Collet 2 die set for neck sizing only or to go for the Pacesetter 3 for full length.

I only have one .303 so it'll only be reloaded for 1 firearm only. Its a Lee Enfield No.4 Mk1*.

I want to make the cases last as long as possible, as long term this will add to the costs if I have to keep buying new cases all the time.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: .303 British Reloading - Which Lee Dies?

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

If you neck size you will have to full length resize at some point I believe.I full length resize 7.62x54r cases, as I shoot the same rounds in different rifles and some of my cases are on their 7th reload, that said my loads are at the milder end of the scale, so case life isn't too bad and I would imagine decent .303 cases would be no different as long as your loads aren't at the hotter end of the scale.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
PeterN

#3 Post by PeterN »

I usually use a Lee collett die for .303 reloading and keep an MTM box of 50 for each rifle. If I am using cases from my stock of once fired cases, I full length size for the first firing and then use the collett die for subsequent loading, again keeping the batch for a specific rifle.
Regards
Peter.
Jizy

#4 Post by Jizy »

Ok, thanks for the info.
So really I should buy the standard 3 Die Pacesetter for the first reload and then after 1st reload buy and use the neck sizing only die.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#5 Post by dromia »

When you get the full length sizing die removed and destroy the expander ball, they are an abomination and destroy cases. Replace it with a straight decapping pin and if your case mouth needs expanding the get a Lyman "M" style expander die/plug.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Jorden
Home club or Range: ponteland

#6 Post by Jorden »

I use a 32 ACP Lee carbide die to neck size only, you do need a longer decapping pin and some sort of extender to space the die approx 40mm out of the press
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#7 Post by ukrifleman »

As previously mentioned, neck sizing is ok for a while, but there will come a time when you will have to trim the brass and full length size to bump the shoulders back.

Annealing cases after every 3 or 4 loads loads will also prolong case life.

It is also important to obtain good quality brass at the outset such as PPU or even better military HXP brass will maximise case life.

Something else to bear in mind is that military brass is normally thicker walled and has less volume than commercial cases, so you might need to reduce the powder charge if you are using full house commercial load data in military cases.

ukrifleman