Best powder for 16 inch .308 barrel

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Brian838
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Offa's Dyke.

Best powder for 16 inch .308 barrel

#1 Post by Brian838 »

I'm now the proud owner of a Desert Tech SRS (Thank you VZ58 compo) and decided to purchase the short 16 inch .308 barrel to go with the 26 inch .338 barrel.
I tried some .308 Hornady match 168 gn plus PPU 168 gn and as you can imagine, the fireball from the muzzle was horrendous and the grouping was pretty disappointing.

Does anyone shoot/reload for a short barrel .308 and can recommend a good (fast burning I guess) powder to improve the groups?

Vihtavuori seems to be well shocked at my local RFD if there are any recommendations for that?

Thanks,

Brian.
Brian838
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Offa's Dyke.

Re: Best powder for 16 inch .308 barrel

#2 Post by Brian838 »

I should add the .308 Hornady match 168 gn and PPU 168 gn was factory ammo.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#3 Post by mag41uk »

Viht list N135 with a 155gn bullet - that might work
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#4 Post by meles meles »

We shoot a Desert Tech with a short 16" .308 barrel, and a 30" .338, ooman. What weight bullets do you use? We use Reload Swiss (RS) powdahs for both super and sub sonic rounds. Squeak to us and we'll tell you our loads...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"