Seating Gas checks

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Keithkilvo1
Home club or Range: ARPC

Seating Gas checks

#1 Post by Keithkilvo1 »

Can someone advise on how to gas check bullets without putting them through a sizer, the one’s I’ve cast are the correct size and so I was just going to alox them and gas check.

Cheers
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Seating Gas checks

#2 Post by dromia »

Put a Penny over the die, place the gas check on it and then seat.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#3 Post by ukrifleman »

I use LocTite to fix gas checks and find it works well.

A single drop on the base of the bullet is all you need, remember to do this before using Alox, otherwise the checks won't stick.

It is also important to not to seat the bullet with the gas check protruding into the case below the neck, otherwise the check could be torn off as it enters the case neck from below.

I use this method when loading for my M91 Carcano without issue.
ukrifleman.
andrew375

#4 Post by andrew375 »

If you are using crimp on gas checks you will need to use some sort of sizing die, a case mouth cannot apply the force necessary. Just use a sizing die of the diameter you require. The Lee sizing dies are in most useful diameters and they will even make a one-off for you. For my .30 cal bullets I use a.310" sizer that, depending on the mould, either just touches the bullet side or just clears bullet whilst not allowing lube to leak past.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.