RCBS universal hand priming tool. OK or not OK

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Cookisan
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Diggle and MSR&PC

Re: RCBS universal hand priming tool. OK or not OK

#11 Post by Cookisan »

The only faff is changing between small and large primers, so I have two dedicated ones. They are great and have a really controllable closing action unlike others that can jump when you are applying pressure, which can be a bit scary!
PeterN

#12 Post by PeterN »

I have used an RCBS Posi-prime tool for many years. A couple of years ago I had a tight primer and squeezed too hard and broke the lever. I emailed RCBS about a replacement and they sent one FOC. Embarrassingly, I did the same thing and broke the new lever. A friend had a Posi-Prime that he had never used so I bought it off him. That has been OK as I now know when to stop squeezing. I primed 91 cases for the .310 Cadet on it this afternoon. I have used the Wamadet Primaline hand press for priming Berdan cases and some Boxer cases. That works very well.
Regards
Peter.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

Cookisan wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:11 pm The only faff is changing between small and large primers, so I have two dedicated ones. They are great and have a really controllable closing action unlike others that can jump when you are applying pressure, which can be a bit scary!
I know what you mean but at just shy of £100 for the tool I think I will put up with the faff on to swop it over for small primers. I also have other priming tools I can use. Except if the RCB one works out I may off load them.
Never heard of the Wamadet primer line any chance of a picture.
I do a lot of my reloading on a Wamadet press in fact now I come to think of it you can prime on the Wamadet. I actually made a priming insert to use on it I think it was for the 6.5x55. I will have to have a rummage and check.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#14 Post by WelshShooter »

Late to the party, but I've used this hand primer for a few years (although not lately). It has worked great with rimmed and rimless calibres, namely 223rem, 357mag, 303brit, 8mm Mauser, 6.5x47 Lapua, 7.62x54 but it sometimes throws a wobbly with some of my 30carbine brass by kicking it out. I'll likely put that down to the brass/calibre as the others work fine.

It's great because you don't need to worry about shell holders, only the size of the priming rod and plastic coupler for primer size. I'm lazy, so I bought another one (used) so I can have one set up for large and the other for small primers. At least I'll have spares too lol.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#15 Post by bradaz11 »

no one ever seems to talk about the lyman offering. thats what I have, and the thing is built like a tank! the linkeages and handles aren't pot metal and I've never worried about breaking a handle
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Alpha1

#16 Post by Alpha1 »

I didnt know lyman made one.
PeterN

#17 Post by PeterN »

Alpha1, I did a post on the Wamadet Primaline hand press with a picture in July on this very forum.
Regards
Peter.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40183
Alpha1

#18 Post by Alpha1 »

PeterN wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:01 pm Alpha1, I did a post on the Wamadet Primaline hand press with a picture in July on this very forum.
Regards
Peter.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40183
Ah yes thinking about it I did probably view your post.

I have been using the RCB jobby on all sorts of different sized cases and its doing the job. I have decided to buy another one and set it up to be used as a dedicated small primer jobby and get rid of all the Lee offerings I have accumulated over the years that give me nothing but grief. It also means I don't need any of the special shell holders for the Lee primers I have spent loads of money on over the years. I think the only Lee bits of kit I will be left with are the re loading dies and a hand press. Next job is to check my reloading dies I am guessing that I have at least three sets of different manufacture's dies for nearly every caliber I own. I feel a clear out coming on.
( I will keep the Lee loaders sets I like tinkering and modifying bits for them they are fun things to play with)