RCBS universal hand priming tool. OK or not OK

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

RCBS universal hand priming tool. OK or not OK

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

My last Lee original hand priming tool is about to die on me. I have tried all the new Lee offerings and several other makes and to retain my sanity consigned them to the bin.
The RCBS universal priming tool does any one own one if so how have you got on with it. Are they truly universal. Are they worth buying. I don't hand load millions of rounds at a time I am in to quality not quantity.
Chapuis

Re: RCBS universal hand priming tool. OK or not OK

#2 Post by Chapuis »

I've used one, they're O.K. but I didn't feel that it was significantly any better than the one from Lee.
The one good thing about them is that they use the standard RCBS shell holder and not a special shell holder like the Lee does. They may accept other makes of shell holder but not all other makes, as the hole through the shell holder on the underside needs to be beveled.

I haven't used one but I just wondered if you had looked at any bench mounted priming tools as I read good things about some of them.
Keithkilvo1
Home club or Range: ARPC

#3 Post by Keithkilvo1 »

I have tried Lee, Hornady and RCBS and would consider the RCBC priming tool to be the best of them all, I have never had a problem with mine.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

My original Lee hand primer died on me last year and I ended up replacing it with the same one, mainly due to the fact there were no others available at the time as it was the height of the US panic buying everything crisis. During that time though I tried fellow shooters RCBS one and the Frankford Arsenal Platinum and when the Lee inevitably breaks I'll be getting the Frankford Arsenal. I think its very much personal preference though
DVC
glevum
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club

#5 Post by glevum »

I use the RCBS APS press mounted priming tool and am very happy with it.

It is a great improvement over the Lee hand primer I started with.
Graham M

#6 Post by Graham M »

Lee hand priming tools are useless and seem to be made of pop metal that wears out in no time. I chucked mine and now use a Lee breech lock reloader press to prime my cases and find it just as quick.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
johngarnett
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#7 Post by johngarnett »

RCBS has done just fine for me for MANY years!!
JohnG
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#8 Post by phaedra1106 »

I've been using the RCBS Universal for about 10 years, one of the best bits of reloading kit I've ever bought :)
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

phaedra1106 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:32 pm I've been using the RCBS Universal for about 10 years, one of the best bits of reloading kit I've ever bought :)
Thanks I have ordered one.
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

Ordered one yesterday (Friday) from CDSG Ltd it arrived to day (Saturday) I am using it to reload .303 this evening. First impressions it seems OK. Time wil tell.