Nobel reloading data anomaly

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
PeterN

Nobel reloading data anomaly

#1 Post by PeterN »

Some time ago, I was given a part used tin of Nobel Rifle Powder Number 3. I thought it was about time I did something with this and as I have got 50 .303 cases primed and ready, I thought I would load a few rounds using the Nobel powder starting load. So, I got out my Nobel manual and looked up .303 loads. I had a few odd bullets of 170 grain, 174 grain and 180 grain to use up. I noticed that the difference between the starting loads and maximum loads was from 2 to 4 grains. However, under the 174 grain bullet data for rifle powder number 1, the difference is 12 grains. That didn't seem right to me, so I got out my Thomas Bland catalogue and my Coggswell and Harrison catalogue as I knew they included data for Nobel powders. Sure enough, under the 173 grain bullet for rifle powder number 1, they give the starting load as 38 grains, not 28 grains. So, it would appear that my Nobel manual has an error. I don't know what the consequences are, if any, for under loading by 10 grains. The data for rifle powder number 3 is the same in all three sources, so I should be OK with the starting load for what I am using. I wonder if there are any other errors in the Nobel manual?
Nobel 303 data 1.jpg
Bland 303 data 1.jpg
Coggswell 303 data 1.jpg
Regards
Peter.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Nobel reloading data anomaly

#2 Post by dromia »

Indeed it is wrong, you are using the "Nobel-Glasgow" book for data, the "Nobel-ICI" data booklet has the start load for Rifle No 1 under a 173 gn bullet in a 303 case as 38 gns. So obviously an error.

I am pretty circumspect when using Nobel load data, finding many of the loads to be "hot".

Cross referencing the velocity spread with the start-maximum spread helps to alert the handloader to potential issues.

I also use a burning chart to cross reference same burning speed load data which usually identifies any sore thumbed loads.

Over the years there have been mistakes in many manuals which a careful handloader will notice.

As always work up loads slowly.

If in any doubt at all DON'T!

To err is human and as Nobel say at the end of the "Glasgow" book:

" As every handloader should know, his hobby is not without an element of risk. This can be avoided by the use of common sense and sound loading practices"

Unfortunately we all know the sense is not at all common in the human species.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/