Bullet stuck...So close yet so far

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Peter Leigh
Home club or Range: chepstow Rifle Club

Bullet stuck...So close yet so far

#1 Post by Peter Leigh »

Its a first for me a stuck bullet in the barrel ( I think its called a squib load ).It is only 1.5 inches from the muzzle end, so close . Lead 38/357 reloaded bullet from a lever action ,so knocking through from the action end is out for me. Its rock solid in there but dont wont to knock it out from the muzzle end either, in case it gets jammed even further into the barrel. Any suggestions please? helpsign helpsign
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Bullet stuck...So close yet so far

#2 Post by Blackstuff »

I've only ever had one myself and just knocked it out from the muzzle end using a thick brass cleaning rod as like yours it was only in a inch or two. As long as you don't hit the crown with anything hard there shouldn't be a problem. You might want to spray some thin/penetrating oil down there first it it seems overly tight.
DVC
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#3 Post by 20series »

I believe a wooden dowel just smaller than the barrel hammered down from the barrel end is likely to be the only way to get it out.
Personally I'd consider taking it to a gunsmith.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Never use anything wooen for this job.

Is it a commercial hard cast bullet?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#5 Post by bradaz11 »

what sort of lever action? most I'd just remove the bolt
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Peter Leigh

#6 Post by Peter Leigh »

Is it a commercial hard cast bullet?

Its a PPU 38 158gr SWC from Kranks ( I have tried scratching the surface of another bullet and the lead seems quite soft) so soft in fact that I even thought I might even dig it out 'bit by bit' somehow!!)

The rifle is a uberti 357 (about 2 yr old replica) 1873 carbine under lever
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Get a self tapping screw long enough to get a good grip into the bullet and extending a couple inches from the muzzle, get a dod of wood an inch or so thick and big enough to cover the muzzle, drill a hole in it just larger than the diameter of the screw. Put the screw though a washer which won't allow the screw head to pass through. Put the screw through the dod of wood and sit on the muzzle with the screw sitting on the bullets nose. Start screwing the screw onto the bullet making sure it is centred. As the screw goes into the bullet the screw head will come up against the washer keep screwing and the bullet should now travel up the screw to the muzzle. When it reaches the wood you should be able to them pull it out with some vice grips on the wood.

Easier to do than describe.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Peter Leigh

#8 Post by Peter Leigh »

Now that's what I call a brilliant answer. Just the ticket........Will start first thing in the morning. lollol
andrew375

#9 Post by andrew375 »

Get hold of some 8 m.m. (5/16") steel rod, it won't damage the barrel. Strip the bolt out and hammer the bullet out. Use the heaviest hammer or mallet you can get, this is all about a big mass moving a small mass.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
monkeyhanger

#10 Post by monkeyhanger »

Two very different methods suggested, let us know how you got on