Advice on tested loads , .223 , .303 , 7.7

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

Advice on tested loads , .223 , .303 , 7.7

#1 Post by dirtbag »

Hi all ,

I have been testing some of my handloads for my various toys and wanted some advice if possible please ?
Since making the transition over to vit powders (mainly N140) I have been looking at sierra manual and vit load data website I have been making up some loads, which I can confirm that I have measured using equipment.

My question (aim) is to shoot out to 600 yards, so just wondering if the recorded averages are sufficient for that distance?
Accuracy at 100 yards for all (with me shooting) I was happy with. The good thing was for the two iron sighted rifles I pretty much have a mechanical 100 yard zero with Ross peep at the bottom, and the Type 99 ladder notch at bottom too.
Conscious of the forum rules (which I hope I have followed?) I'll add the references below:

1)
Rifle : Sabre Defense XR15 .223 1:9 (My Vietnam era M16 clone thingy with 3x20 colt scope)
Bullet : 69gr Sierra Matchking HPBT
Powder : N140 (Tested loads within stated parameters) https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-da ... artridge=7 (.223)
Results : Averaged around 2678 FPS

2)
Rifle : MK III Ross .303
Bullet :.311 174gr Sierra Matchking HPBT
Powder : N140 (Tested loads within stated parameters) https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-da ... rtridge=28 (.303)
Results : Averaged around 2304 FPS

3)
Rifle : Arisaka Type 99
Bullet :311 174gr Sierra Matchking HPBT
Powder : N140 ( Loads kept light based on forum posts on previous full-bore post on Type 99 same powder and bullet , would welcome references)
Results : Averaged around 2183 FPS

Thanks in advance, and apologies if I have mis-posted in any way.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Advice on tested loads , .223 , .303 , 7.7

#2 Post by Sim G »

The .223 with 69gn bullets and N140 has an almost industry standard of 25.0gns. 600yds easy.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
dirtbag
Site Supporter 2022

Re: Advice on tested loads , .223 , .303 , 7.7

#3 Post by dirtbag »

Sim G wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:19 pm The .223 with 69gn bullets and N140 has an almost industry standard of 25.0gns. 600yds easy.
Hi there, thanks so much for replying. Much appreciated.