8x57J

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
PeterN

8x57J

#1 Post by PeterN »

Does anyone here reload for the 8x57J, with the .318 diameter bullet? If so, what is your source of bullets? I don't need another rifle, but I have seen one I quite fancy getting, but it means the bother of a variation and RFD transfer. The odd bullet diameter is putting me off a bit and also the rifle in question is fed by G-88 clips that I can get from a local dealer but they are charging £25 each. I wouldn't use it much, more for the history, so not sure if the expense is worth it. I have looked at a few dealers websites but not seen any .318 bullets. I know Sellier and Bellot make them but probably not imported here due to low demand. Anyway, by the time I make up my mind the rifle will probably be sold anyway. I have history of this happening.
Regards
Peter.
davidh195
Past Supporter

Re: 8x57J

#2 Post by davidh195 »

I use the S&B .318" bullet & purchased all the importer had about 3 years ago witch was only a few hundred it may not be stocked but worth asking.
There is a lighter jacketed .318" bullet that is used by some, googling should find it & of some size down larger bullets.

David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......
spikedueller
Home club or Range: Minsterly

#3 Post by spikedueller »

I think Chris at the Bullet cache has some bullets and ammunition for the J bore.

Another option would be sizing standard .323" down to .318. I have to do this for my .318 Nitro when I can't get .330" bullets. I size .338" down in two stages using the Lee press mounted sizers. First down to .333" and then down to .329" as I do find that there is about .001" "springback" when sizing jacketed bullets so they come back to the right .330". This was handy as the .329" is a standard Lee offering. Admittedly getting custom sizers from Lee is a bit of a challenge at the moment but I'm sure someone in the UK with a Lathe could make them as they are quite basic.
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#4 Post by ukrifleman »

Do they have to be FMJ?
An easy option would be to size some .323 cast bullets down to .318.
A .314 Lee push through sizer from Krank's will set you back £22-50. all you need to do is polish it out to .318 and you are good to go.
If you do decide to go down this route, anneal the sizer first as they are very hard, this will make polishing out much easier.
If casting your own is not an option, you can buy commercially cast bullets either gas checked or as cast.
ukrifleman
PeterN

#5 Post by PeterN »

Thanks for the replies. I have still not decided on the rifle. I spoke to the chap at the bullet cache. He said that he has had some .318 bullets sat on his shelf for years with no interest and suddenly, out of the blue, two people have contacted him and bought some. Perhaps they read this forum. I did buy a Lyman number 47 reloading manual from him. I now have number 42 to 50 except for 43.
Regards
Peter.