Good reloading practice

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Oddbod

Re: Good reloading practice

#21 Post by Oddbod »

I picked up a Stoney Point (now Hornady) OAL gauge, bullet comparator & various modified cases & find it invaluable for accurately seating bullets a certain distance from the lands - especially with soft points.
I was working up .270 loads & found up to 0.030" difference in Sierra Pro Hunter bullets measured from the tip but less than 0.002" using the comparator.
CopperSkink

#22 Post by CopperSkink »

That is exactly what I'm purchasing next - hopefully within the next week. Measuring COL with softpoint bullets seems to be so inaccurate. I'm guessing the inaccuracies is with the balistic tips aswell but not as big (no experience there - just a guess)
DaveT

#23 Post by DaveT »

Also worth getting their headspace gauges to check what sizing your dies are giving re that measure....useful both for checking any need to 'bump' shoulders after repeated neck sizing OR to see if your FLS process / die is creating too much headspace for safetys sake.
Griff

#24 Post by Griff »

I love this thread. I would really like to be able to get into reloading but don't do enough shooting to justify it. :bad:

A lot of this is very technical for me but when looking at bullets, cases, different powders, head spacing, crimping etc I cringe at the thought of where I would start if I could. sign85

Too many powders for the inexperienced lol sign01
rox

#25 Post by rox »

Making TR ammo is pretty straight-forward - there's only one or two powders you need to think about, and really only one bullet if you want to train for things like, oh I don't know, Glasgow? If you want to shoot for 40p per round instead of 70-95p just make sure you keep any brass you use (but not the steel stuff you'll start to get from the WRA this season) and keep your eyes peeled for second hand loading kit coming onto the market. My initial set of kit cost about £100.00, and with a few additions is perfectly capable of producing ammo that exceeds the performance of RUAG of HPS.

Griff wrote:I love this thread. I would really like to be able to get into reloading but don't do enough shooting to justify it. :bad:

A lot of this is very technical for me but when looking at bullets, cases, different powders, head spacing, crimping etc I cringe at the thought of where I would start if I could. sign85

DaveT

#26 Post by DaveT »

Griff wrote:I love this thread. I would really like to be able to get into reloading but don't do enough shooting to justify it. :bad:

Its like most new activities...once you have sorted the basics all becomes clear....then you start to look at advanced stuff and its gets cloudy again!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#27 Post by Alpha1 »

I love this thread. I would really like to be able to get into reloading but don't do enough shooting to justify it.
You dont have to justify it just do it because you want to. :shakeshout:
GazMorris

#28 Post by GazMorris »

Griff wrote:A lot of this is very technical for me but when looking at bullets, cases, different powders, head spacing, crimping etc I cringe at the thought of where I would start if I could.
Assuming this is Griff Morgan (which I'm guessing from Bob's comment about Glasgow 2014) I've got the kit, so the next time we're both down, swing by my van with a handful of RUAG brass shot in your rifle and I'll show you how it's done!

Cheers,

Gaz

PS - If it's not Griff Morgan, sorry!
Steve E
Home club or Range: Where ever I shoot.

#29 Post by Steve E »

Hi Gaz nice to see you here at last (go and introduce yourself in the new new members lobby). Yes it is the one and only Griff Morgan.

See you at Bisley soon

Steve E
zeroveez

#30 Post by zeroveez »

Whereas the Stoneypoint guage is the dog's dangly bits in terms of COL measurement, (I own one and have made another a la Shed), the Nosler reloading manual does give sensible instructions on how to make a measurement using a fired case and the proposed bullet; page 43 in the 6th edition and page 34 in the fourth. (Sorry, I can't find the fifth edition).
Zeroveez
308, 6.5-06, 223.
I am taking my Alzheimers tablets;... when I remember.