Possible sticky - what do I need for reloading?

This section is for reloading and ammunition only, all loads found in here are used strictly at your own risk, if in doubt ask again.
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should treated as suspect and not used.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All handloading data posted on Full-Bore UK from 23/2/2021 must reference the published pressure tested data it was sourced from, posts without such verification will be removed.
Any existing data without such a reference should be treated as suspect and not used.

Use reloading information posted here at your own risk. This forum (http://www.full-bore.co.uk) is not responsible for any property damage or personal injury as a consequence of using reloading data posted here, the information is individual members findings and observations only. Always verify the load data and be absolutely sure your firearm can handle the load, especially older ones. If in doubt start low and work your way up.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Possible sticky - what do I need for reloading?

#61 Post by Ovenpaa »

I would go for a Lee Cast Classic with matching Lee dies, they will not break the bank and can return superb results. Do remember to allow for some reasonable scales, your call again and you need to weigh up (Pun not intended) speed versus accuracy and these to a degree will be dependant on the powder you use.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#62 Post by dromia »

meles meles wrote:Most of our rifles are military rifles - Carl Gustav, Krag in 6.5x55, hence not the most precise of chambers

Go for the Lee dies, a good set of balance beam scales and a set of check weights are a must.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#63 Post by Alpha1 »

What Adam and Ovenpaa said. What ever you decide buy a good quality beam scale (not the Lee one.) Don't forget a powder funnel.
Grizzly

#64 Post by Grizzly »

meles meles wrote:Well, oomans, we've read Lyman 49 a few times and think we grasp the basics. We're going to write a sign to paste over our workbench (Keep it simple, keep it safe) and start our re-loading on 6.5x55 Swe - we normally shoot milsurp but we have just bought 100 PPU rounds so we can save the cases ready for reloading. Our first questions:

1. Where is a good place to buy re-loading equipment ? (We don't mind second paw)
2. What is the best press to buy ? By best, we mean a rugged, reliable, simple press that will last
3. What make of dies should we buy ?
I have a Redding T7 Turret. Simple and easy to use. Still going strong. You're best deciding what type you'd prefer then go from there. If you are new to reloading you can easily make mistakes and not notice with progressive presses, whereas single stage presses take alot longer to load but you'll get each stage down to a tee quickly. One of the reasons I went with the T7. Best of both worlds and load in batches.
Grizzly

#65 Post by Grizzly »

Grizzly wrote:
meles meles wrote:Well, oomans, we've read Lyman 49 a few times and think we grasp the basics. We're going to write a sign to paste over our workbench (Keep it simple, keep it safe) and start our re-loading on 6.5x55 Swe - we normally shoot milsurp but we have just bought 100 PPU rounds so we can save the cases ready for reloading. Our first questions:

1. Where is a good place to buy re-loading equipment ? (We don't mind second paw)
2. What is the best press to buy ? By best, we mean a rugged, reliable, simple press that will last
3. What make of dies should we buy ?
I have a Redding T7 Turret. Simple and easy to use. Still going strong. You're best deciding what type you'd prefer then go from there. If you are new to reloading you can easily make mistakes and not notice with progressive presses, whereas single stage presses take alot longer to load but you'll get each stage down to a tee quickly. One of the reasons I went with the T7. Best of both worlds and load in batches.

Also I love my RCBS Chargemaster. A bit pricey but you'll get the load exactly right every time.
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#66 Post by meles meles »

We're thinking Lee Classic Turret press and Lyman Gen 6 for dispensing the powder...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Grizzly

#67 Post by Grizzly »

meles meles wrote:We're thinking Lee Classic Turret press and Lyman Gen 6 for dispensing the powder...
Sounds good, although I think the classic only has four holes for dies. I normally have two sets of dies seated at any one time eg. my most popular loads .223/45.70. Some die sets have 3 dies eg. 45/70 so if you wanted two setup like this you'd need a minimum of 5. Not a biggie, depends what you're loading and how often you want to switch them out.
meles meles
Home club or Range: HBSA

#68 Post by meles meles »

We'd prefer to set up for one cartridge at a time, less chance of error that way.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#69 Post by phaedra1106 »

meles meles wrote:We're thinking Lee Classic Turret press and Lyman Gen 6 for dispensing the powder...
How about thinking Lee Cast Breechlock single stage, Lee Perfect Powder Measure, Target Master Trickler and a set of RCBS 5-0-5 scales. Would work out cheaper and give excellent results.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
Rob1
Home club or Range: Reepham

#70 Post by Rob1 »

So t would appear that Lee is a good solid inexpensive start point for bulk ammo?

Has seen 3,4 and 5 hole turrets tho 3&4 seem most readily available.

Interchangeable between .223/5.56 and 9mm set ups looks pretty straight forward.

Maybe the way to go as a start point.

So he. To figure bullet weight and powder types / amount.

Keep posting guys it's all very useful info for a start up.

Rob
Baikel O/U x 2
Beretta Multi Shot
Silver pigeon 1
CZ 455 .22
S&W M&P 15-22 MOE
SGC LR 9
SGC LR .223/5.56