The UK's Finest Independent Forum for Shooters and Gun Owners. Est 2010.

Supporting all legal firearm owners, collectors, enthusiasts, shooters and competitors by promoting and encouraging legitimate gun ownership and use in the UK through unity, advocacy and discussion. To REGISTER contact admin(at)full-bore.co.uk
It is currently Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:44 pm 
Site Supporter 2020

I have spent some time clocking the ground bar with a machined taper to fit in my tailstock and I am pleasantly surprised. In fact, I am going to have a go with the grizzly rod and see what happens.
A weekend project.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:13 pm 
Site Supporter 2020

Vince kindly loaned me a copy of Gordy Gritters chambering DVD. I have spent several hours viewing it. I have finally managed to find and purchase a copy of the DVD. So I can return Vinces copy and thank him for the loan of his copy.
The DVD was mouth-wateringly expensive considering it was made in 2018. I could have bought two 1Kg tubs of Vitavouri powder and had change for what I paid for it. But I had to have it.
I also bought some other DVD,s covering chambering of Remington actions and some other run of the mill chambering stuff that caught my interest.
I am currently looking at adding a rotary table to my Mill and some indexing stuff. Broaching is something else I am interested in.
I just need a bigger Shed.
What did cross my mind was at 70 years old I could finally have the workshop I always wanted then snuff it and my Son would not have a clue what to do with it. Morbid or what.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:37 am 
Site Supporter Since 2018

Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC
Alpha1 wrote:
Vince kindly loaned me a copy of Gordy Gritters chambering DVD. I have spent several hours viewing it. I have finally managed to find and purchase a copy of the DVD. So I can return Vinces copy and thank him for the loan of his copy.
The DVD was mouth-wateringly expensive considering it was made in 2018. I could have bought two 1Kg tubs of Vitavouri powder and had change for what I paid for it. But I had to have it.
I also bought some other DVD,s covering chambering of Remington actions and some other run of the mill chambering stuff that caught my interest.
I am currently looking at adding a rotary table to my Mill and some indexing stuff. Broaching is something else I am interested in.
What did cross my mind was at 70 years old I could finally have the workshop I always wanted then snuff it and my Son would not have a clue what to do with it. Morbid or what.

At 72 yo that bothers me a bit as well , al my lovely stuff , was just thinking about a new lathe as well !

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:57 am 

Alpha1 wrote:

Matey - you could have just copied the DVD!
Vince

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:19 am 
Site Supporter 2020

My DVD,s are in the UK getting excited it won't be long now. I was bored not a lot going on in my life at the moment. I spent a day dismantling and cleaning my tool post holders and tool holders and fitted them all with new inserts. I did not realize how many I had. I filled a shelf. I also have quite a few miniature carbide holders as well since Ovenpaa introduced me to them. It's surprising how useful they have become. I did not realize how many boxes of inserts I had either. I binned a couple of parting tools I could never get them to work. Though I should probably have another go at parting off my Lathe now runs a tad slower since sorting the belt and pulleys out but it seems to have a lot more torque I can take deeper cuts without it stalling. In fact, I can not remember it stalling at all since sorting the belt and pulleys out.
As you have probably guessed by now I am bored I need something to do.

I guess its Youtube time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:47 pm 
Site Supporter 2020

The DVD,s arrived they charged me duty on them. The Gordy gritter DVD is the most expensive DVD I have ever bought in my life.
I watched one based on chambering a barrel on a Remington action. It's aimed at the home machinist, not a professional gunsmithing shop. Its a step by step DVD. It cleared up a lot of my questions.
The only issue is they use a viper barrel holding jig in a four-jaw independent chuck. But you don't have to do that you can employ the same technique with the barrel through the headstock using a spider. All in all, not a bad video. As I say it cleared up some of my questions especially about working out the dimensions and cutting the bolt head recess.
The second DVD was just as informative again a Remington action re barreled in .308.
I watched one chambering between centers in fact I watched it twice I found that really cool.
The Gordy Gritter DVD is tomorrow's viewing I also have his book.
Some of the toolings they used is also very interesting. But I have blown this year's Toys budget so they will have to wait.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:16 am 
Site Supporter 2020

Watched the Gordy Gritter DVD. His method is a lot different from most of the other chambering videos I have watched. In fact, a guy who booked onto one of Gordy,s teach-ins used his methods then very quickly changed to cambering through the headstock.
It's an interesting watch if you are into that kind of thing. I am obviously into that kind of thing.