Peg tool for bushed strikers

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Peg tool for bushed strikers

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Disk set strikers/bushed strikers.

You know what I mean, often found on Side by Side shotguns the striker (firing pin) is removed from the front and held in place by a bushing or disk that has two or three holes in it for a peg spanner to enable it to be screwed into the face.
The idea being that you pop your peg spanner in place, unscrew the disk, replace the striker and spring as required, put it back together and look at the next job.

The problem is the PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter) and the number of holes vary quite a bit so I need a few different tools. Yesterday I broke a tool on a Spanish gun and decided it was time to do something different.
The issue is the pegs snap off and the tool is rendered scrap so use needle rollers at the correct diameter, this way if I snap one I just replace it with another one.

The rollers are incredibly cheap so I buy 50 at a time and if I need a 1.8mm peg instead of a 2.0mm I just turn the end of the roller down. I will use this style every time I need a different size or PCD and should end up with all I need as time goes by. Plus it is always nice to make your own hand tools.I will heat treat it, then temper it. Despite being a bit rough and ready the tool should see me out.

There are many different versions of this tool, this is my one.
20211203_141358.jpg
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal

Re: Peg tool for bushed strikers

#2 Post by 1066 »

Excellent David - Just need to make a bigger one now for taking the backs off watches. :)
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#3 Post by bradaz11 »

nice! i've just used circlip pliers the few times i've needed it
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

Nice I could do with one of them.
davidh195
Past Supporter

#5 Post by davidh195 »

Thanks for the inspiration!

Preparing range box for for the weekend found a touch hole bush purchased last month & forgotten about, so a rough copy was in order.
20211216_185144.jpg
David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Nice job, did youbor will update heat treat it? My prototype twisted and I fractured a pin so the one-inch my picture was heat treated and tempered as were the pins plus I did a few spares
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
davidh195
Past Supporter

#7 Post by davidh195 »

No just a quick job today in some horrible stainless as it's wanted for the weekend, it is a bit thin pin centres 5mm hopefully it shouldn't have much stress if it breaks ill make another & harden it as you say & perhaps mill slot either side for the pin access instead of reducing the diameter all around.
Just used sewing machine needle shanks for the pins as thy were to hand ill order some rollers.

David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

Sewing machine needles that,s a new one. Looks the business though. Good job well done.
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

Ovenpaa wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:37 pm Nice job, did youbor will update heat treat it? My prototype twisted and I fractured a pin so the one-inch my picture was heat treated and tempered as were the pins plus I did a few spares
Argh, that was the result of a mobile phone and new contacts so seeing close up without reading glasses is a pain.
Translated into English:
Nice job, did you heat treat it? My prototype twisted and I fractured a pin so the one in my picture was heat treated and tempered as were the pins, plus I did a few spares
This is it tempered (350C) I need to make another for a slightly smaller diameter PCD 2 pin and I am tempted to make an adjustable for PCD version. I designed one ages ago but have not got around to making it.
20211217_140543.jpg
/d

Shed Journal

#10 Post by 1066 »

I made something of a similar vein recently. This was just a repair, made the inner bit of silver steel and hardened. Came out good as new. Anyone recognise what it's for?

TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com