Surface grinding recoil lugs and stuff

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Surface grinding recoil lugs and stuff

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am thinking of investing in a small 3 phase surface grinder. I have used one in the past and do understand what they are and what they can do, however I equally know feck all about the things so do we have any surface grinder people on the forum? It will mostly be used for recoil lugs, flat firing pins and tooling and similar (I think!)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
North Star
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Saskatchewan Provincial Rifle Association (North Star Range), Regina Wildlife Association range.

Re: Surface grinding recoil lugs and stuff

#2 Post by North Star »

Look for a good used or rebuilt
Jones & Shipman 540. IMHO one of the best surface grinders ever made. There's still a lot of companies rebuilding these things!
Never take good advice, if you think you know better.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#3 Post by Pippin89 »

North Star wrote:Look for a good used or rebuilt
Jones & Shipman 540. IMHO one of the best surface grinders ever made. There's still a lot of companies rebuilding these things!
This... They are insanely cheap too!
Ovenpaa

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

The J&S 540 looks to be a superb machine however the footprint is a bit big for my needs. I was thinking more along the lines of a Herbert Junior, so a small manual machine for little jobs.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#5 Post by FredB »

You need to be care full ---grinders work well on hard parts, but case hardenrd parts instantly deform if the case is removed from one side. Release the magnetic table and the part springs into the air!
Fred
Ovenpaa

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

I found this yesterday, a little Herbert Junior in really nice condition, just a bit dirty, it is a later model so has the oiler on the knee and has maybe a thou or two backlash on the X Axis which impressed me. Plan is to bring it home ASAP and get grinding.
IMG_6403.jpeg
/d

Shed Journal

#7 Post by 1066 »

That looks like it will scrub up well David. :good:
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#8 Post by shugie »

Ovenpaa wrote:I found this yesterday, a little Herbert Junior in really nice condition, just a bit dirty, it is a later model so has the oiler on the knee and has maybe a thou or two backlash on the X Axis which impressed me. Plan is to bring it home ASAP and get grinding.
IMG_6403.jpeg
I remember, just, being taught to use one of those at Hackney Tech, and a very clear warning about not winding the workpiece in too fast to avoid risk of fatal damage to the grinding wheel.
Careful now/that sort of thing
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

Avoiding fatal damage to myself is a higher priority! I did manage to launch one part with a surface grinder many years ago and for the wrong reason as well. I am currently trying to source a manual for the grinder for things like maximum feeds (My guess is .001") Oil types and general care. So if anyone knows of a manual I would be very grateful :)
/d

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

1066 wrote:That looks like it will scrub up well David. :good:
Thank you, I reckon it will as well. We are both quite excited about it as I have been after one for ages. I took the Viking with me and she did like it, however she was far more interested in a Sunderland gear planer that weighed the thick end of 12 tons. I did ask her if she wanted to negotiate on the price of the grinder and she just shook her head and wandered off again.

Buy-in from the wife is always good when looking at machinery, biggest issue with mine is she usually finds something else to fill the transport up with. I know she was particularly intrigued by a little Cincinnati shaper which I wish I could buy, just so she could use it :)
/d

Shed Journal