Never tell me it cannot be done, the M54S LSR rifle

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Never tell me it cannot be done, the M54S LSR rifle

#21 Post by Pippin89 »

Looking great. Look forward to seeing how it shoots. No fine pitch M6's in my rack I'm afraid... Lots of FP M5's. But no M6's
Christel
Site Admin

#22 Post by Christel »

bradaz11 wrote:well there is scope for another 2 ;)
Ok, alright then :p
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#23 Post by Ovenpaa »

Project M54S had some range time yesterday evening and yes, it shoots. This card was shot off a piece of wood for a rest, with a blurry 3.bowl ish magnification scope to confirm zero and I know I pulled the last of 10 which broke the line. 100 ex100 scored.

It does not have the same 'Ting' of the centre-fire version when shot and apart from needing some slightly higher rings as the cheek weld is a tad too firm for my liking it was as close to perfect as I could hope for being a prototype. In fact, other than changing the aesthetics of the slot pattern on the front end and using a reamer instead of boring the tube, plus fitting the correct length action screws, I will change nothing on the next one.

Yes, I know that is not the correct butt pad however I ran out of time this evening so I will replace it at the weekend.

I have a feeling I will have to find a replacement 'scope and rings for it at some point. :)

LSR? I shot a 49 ex 50 first time with it, although I did drop to a 46 after that. Regardless, I reckon it will make a fine LSR rifle and a mean rimfire Bench Rest rifle as well if needed.
10shots.jpeg
IMG_6707.jpeg
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#24 Post by Alpha1 »

Good job well done. It looks the business.
Pippin89

#25 Post by Pippin89 »

So when can I place my order?
Ovenpaa

#26 Post by Ovenpaa »

Pippin89 wrote:So when can I place my order?
There is nothing I would like more than to build a handful of these, however there are way too many variables and top of the list is market value. I know how many manufacturing and design hours I have on the job and that is before I add things such as Cerakote finish and laser logo work. On top of this there are bespoke specifics such as would it be for a 54 or a 64 and do I need to supply the donor rifle, does it need front and rear riders for Bench Rest, type of scope rail, bipod mounts etc.

The bottom line is I would struggle to compete against the mass produced and foreign sourced rifle chassis, especially if I was to only make half a dozen. Having said that, I am not sure if anyone actually builds a chassis system like this.

Right now, my guess would be around GBP1,000 for for a finished and painted chassis system with the customer's barrelled action installed and ready to go. A lot of money...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Pippin89

#27 Post by Pippin89 »

Ovenpaa wrote:
Pippin89 wrote:So when can I place my order?
There is nothing I would like more than to build a handful of these, however there are way too many variables and top of the list is market value. I know how many manufacturing and design hours I have on the job and that is before I add things such as Cerakote finish and laser logo work. On top of this there are bespoke specifics such as would it be for a 54 or a 64 and do I need to supply the donor rifle, does it need front and rear riders for Bench Rest, type of scope rail, bipod mounts etc.

The bottom line is I would struggle to compete against the mass produced and foreign sourced rifle chassis, especially if I was to only make half a dozen. Having said that, I am not sure if anyone actually builds a chassis system like this.

Right now, my guess would be around GBP1,000 for for a finished and painted chassis system with the customer's barrelled action installed and ready to go. A lot of money...
To be honest for a low volume, hand made chassis of that quality I think £1k is pretty reasonable. It might make the mini rifle chaps/chapesses wince but for those of us used to System Gemini stocks and the like.... Plenty of serious LSR / BR guys would happily spend that for a decent stock when you show them the test cards you've shot.
Ovenpaa

#28 Post by Ovenpaa »

Project M54S-430 - Nearly a conclusion.

Finally we were able to take the M54S chassis rifle out for a test at 50 metres this afternoon, freezing cold it was.

A few things have changed, we fluted the barrel for an instant 450 gram weight saving. Yes, I always said I would leave it as it was, however I needed to get the centre of balance back so 7x6mm flutes later and approaching 10% of the rifle weight was gone which leads me onto the final (ish) statistics:

All up weight including 'scope and rings: 4235 grams
Excluding above: 3786 grams
Complete chassis ex barrelled action: 1096 grams

My view is I can still drop another 100 grams with ease, if not more.

Finally, did it shoot after the fluting? Too right it did! About all I need to do now is find a more vertical grip and put some paint on it. One final thing, it is now wearing a 75MOA rail so it is a 400 yard rifle if needed :)

It was fun.

Take care all.
Target.jpg
Fluted.jpg
Christel 54.jpeg
Weight.jpg
/d

Shed Journal
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#29 Post by Alpha1 »

I think you have done a fantastic job. Love the pictures.
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#30 Post by Plumose »

What an amazing project.

While I was expecting the engineering to be great I wasn't sure what the aesthetics would be like, as it is that looks a wonderful.

Then again I am not precious about wooden stocks.
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net