Hemingway Kits

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Hemingway Kits

#41 Post by Ovenpaa »

The Manson is fine and was the first 'Proper one' I ever owned. I will take some pictures of how I do things next time.

I am still experimenting with the concept of chambering on CNC. I currently have a holder with an ER16 collet chuck which is OK but... Next job is finish a complete new tool post with a floating ER16 holder. It is a fun job as the block replaces the Dickson T2 and locates on the dowels, I need to heat treat it then I can finish grind it however I am not sure my HT oven is man enough for the job as it is only 2.8kW and will take a while. The nice part is once the tool post/reamer holder is finished I can final bore it in place with the cutter held in the chuck so ensuring theoretically perfect alignment before the floating ER16 ever comes into play. My worry is the number of peck cycles and I have had to bring the feeds right down to soften the moves. There are a few more issues to consider however I am getting ahead of myself now :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#42 Post by Alpha1 »

Sounds complicated.
I would be interested in how you do it. I have Gordy gritters book and watched some videos. I am following a guy on you tube he attended Gordy,s teach in and uses his method to chamber and true up actions.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#43 Post by Ovenpaa »

Not so complicated, the thing about machining, be it a lathe or a mill is simple math is king. As long as you can divide by two on a lathe you can do most jobs. With milling and grinding as long as you can subtract you should be OK. Sadly very few people are interested in such things; I surface ground an ejector plate for a 100 year old shotgun this morning, now I can heat treat it and temper it before a final grind (0.001" of both sides) The plate will probably end up with a dozen hours invested in it, I enjoyed the job however there is little or no interest in such projects these days.

I built my own HT oven with PID control but because it is not an influencer of CNC project, again no interest. I still get a kick out of such projects however I have no-one to share the processes or thinking with, other than Christel. Bizarrely, I have had a couple of people say they would like to apprentice to me, they are both in their 40s and would probably expect more than I pay myself!

Roll on retirement when I can start working for myself.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#44 Post by Alpha1 »

If I lived closer I would be applying for an apprentice position as well and I would work for free and I am 70 next birthday. The whole thing grips me Lathes, Mills surface grinders I just wish I had bitten the bullet in the first place and bought a bigger lathe and Mill. I now realize the limitations the size of my machinery has upon any work I want to do.
Alpha1

#45 Post by Alpha1 »

Finally.
Floating reamer holder. It's very nice wether I ever use it is debatable.
1.jpg