Taurus issue.... parts?

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Sim G
Past Supporter

Taurus issue.... parts?

#1 Post by Sim G »

Let's chuck this one out there....

My .357 LBR has developed the issue of "cylinder slip". In short, sometimes the cylinder stop does not return and lock the cylinder. Every now and then has now developed into fairly often. The issue is undoubtably the cylinder stop plunger and/or cylinder stop plunger spring. An easy fix.... or so if should be!

The plunger looks fine. The spring on the other hand, looks to be developing a kink, which makes sense that it is becoming more and more, the greater the inability for the spring to expand correctly as the kink/bend becomes more pronounced.

Highland Outdoors do not import the LBR as there's no more to import! They subsequently sold off their small stock of spares. The buyer of these spares does not have plungers or springs (they usually come as a set).

Taurus in Brazil have ignored emails, even though google translate included a Portuguese version of my nail also. And Taurus USA have also thought to disregard any communication.

Brownells don't do them.

I then thought of a brainwave and emailed Alan Westlake as he used to convert LBRs to ML, but he doesn't have any small parts.

So, any ideas? How do I find a spring if the correct dimensions and weight? I can't believe that the gun could be U/S for a simple coil spring!!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Taurus issue.... parts?

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

I will be surprised if you can not buy a replacement spring. Springs are readily available.
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

It was an idea I did have, but the one question I can't answer is literally, how "strong" does it need to be? Or just a trial and error?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Alpha1

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

Give them a call. Or take the spring off and send it to them and ask them for there advice.
How much tension is there on the spring. How difficult is it to compress it between finger and thumb.
Can you post a picture.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Springs are remarkably easy to dimension, you need the outer diameter, wire size and length and that is about it. Unfortunately this will not always give you a perfect match so you may need to order 3-4 springs of different weights to get one that does the job. We are constantly ordering in springs for obscure things and I am sure flexosprings can help (Not one we use) assuming they do not have silly minimum orders quantities.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
MistAgain

#7 Post by MistAgain »

Try these people

Germany

FRANKONIA HANDELS - MAIN DISTRIBUTOR

GmbH Schiesshausstrasse 10 . 97228 Rottendorf

Phone: +49(0)9302-2080

info@frankonia-b2b.de

http://www.frankonia.de
Christel
Site Admin

#8 Post by Christel »

Link posted because I find it interesting, somebody else might.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums ... ?th=119095
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#9 Post by Mattnall »

I've used Harlow Springs many times, just take the spring or dimensions to them and they more than often make it while I wait and very reasonable on price.
They've even made AR trigger springs for me in the past.
If it's standard cylindrical springs they may have them or something to suit already made and that's even easier, you might even get a few spares thrown in.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#10 Post by snayperskaya »

Have you tried Ebay?, I got one from a seller on there for a project I was working on.If you measure the spring you have you'll probably find one and some sellers will do custom sized springs as well without having to buy loads of them.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!