Boyd's Stock Fitting

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Boyd's Stock Fitting

#1 Post by Pippin89 »

I have a Mauser target rifle (jacket and sling, open sights type TR). Ever since I have owned it the LOP has been FAR too long and the hand stop rail was about 3 inches too far forward for where I wanted my hand stop.
I thought about cutting a few inches off the butt and cutting the rail in further back, but then I thought why not just get a new stock.

So as the ITAR restriction change meant I could buy a Boyd's stock I went for it. $204 cant go wrong really. Although landed at my door it cost £300 with delivery VAT and duties etc.
Either way it's cheap for a fully inlet stock. And as the rifle only cost me £350 I wasnt going to drop £900 into a Form stock.

Anyway, I thought I would drop a post in here as it wasnt a perfect fit and needed some fettling. Not exactly the cutting edge of gunsmithing but worth sharing.

First problem was the barrel channel was too narrow. This rifle must have had a new barrel at some point in its life so I guess this was inevitable. I used some 40 grit paper wrapped around increasing sizes of sockets to slowly open it up. Took about an hour or so but I was in no rush. The paper test almost works. It pinches in one spot so I will go back over that another day. The next problem was there was contact with the bolt handle when fully closed. Again a smaller socket and another 5 minutes sanding and that was solved. I need to clean that up with some finer grit as its visible but today I just wanted to get it in.

Last problem was that I couldn't get the front action bolt in and the rear one was a bit tight. It turned out to the the floor plate recess was a bit tight on the front end. Just a hair sanded off and it fitted like a treat.

Report on the stock is good. I haven't shot it yet but its comfortable and well worth the money if you dont mind a couple of hours to fit it.
And now my 50+ year old Mauser looks much more modern. It may be older, I dont know exactly how old it is! If any experts have any idea I would be interested to know.
Attachments
Mauser3.jpg
Mauser2.jpg
Mauser1.jpg
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Boyd's Stock Fitting

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Nice job. Well done.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

A very nice job indeed. An old rifle maker (RIP Keith W) once explained how to make a 'Witches tit' to scrape barrel channels, it was slow but gave a superb result. These days I stuff the stock in the mill and run a 22,0mm bull nose cutter or whatever is needed down the channel a couple of times and the job is done. It usually takes longer to clock it in, so I am quite envious of people doing such jobs the long hand way and enjoying the process. (Especially on the kitchen table)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#4 Post by Les »

Nice job! goodjob

I've 'looked' at these stocks a few times online, but I've always been put off by the push button release for the cheek piece and butt pad. I don't know why (yes I do - I'm old and cranky!) but I've always 'thought' that this might be a weak spot in the stock, so .............. what's your opinion of the two catches? Are they robust enough to take a bit of abuse, or will they need a gentler touch?
Pippin89

#5 Post by Pippin89 »

Les wrote:Nice job! goodjob

I've 'looked' at these stocks a few times online, but I've always been put off by the push button release for the cheek piece and butt pad. I don't know why (yes I do - I'm old and cranky!) but I've always 'thought' that this might be a weak spot in the stock, so .............. what's your opinion of the two catches? Are they robust enough to take a bit of abuse, or will they need a gentler touch?
A gentler touch wouldnt be able to operate them. They are solid and need significant effort to push them. This is obviously cause for complaint as there is notes in the manual that say "this is by design and not a fault". Honestly, within reasonable use, I can't see them breaking.
Pippin89

#6 Post by Pippin89 »

Ovenpaa wrote:Especially on the kitchen table
I do have a full machine shop at work that I could have used, but sometimes doing things the old fashioned way is so much more satisfying. For something as simple as a bit of sanding, I just stick on some Pearl Jam and let the hours tick by!

That old kitchen table has seen a fair bit of abuse. It regularly has a whole pig or lamb on there being butchered. I prefer buying whole animals and butchering myself with the help of my 4 year old. Its cheaper, you know exactly where the animal has come from and how it was treated, you can butcher the actual joints you want, and in the process my daughter learns where her food comes from.
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#7 Post by Triffid »

Once you've got it fitted, can I suggest that you have the rifle pillar-bedded into the stock. I've got a Howa 308 in a Boyds thumbhole stock . . . pillar bedding turned it from a good rifle into an exceptional one.

Triffid
Les
Home club or Range: WRPC

#8 Post by Les »

Pippin89 wrote:
Les wrote:Nice job! goodjob

A gentler touch wouldnt be able to operate them. They are solid and need significant effort to push them. This is obviously cause for complaint as there is notes in the manual that say "this is by design and not a fault". Honestly, within reasonable use, I can't see them breaking.
That'll do for me! Many thanks. thankssign
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

Pippin89 wrote:
Ovenpaa wrote:Especially on the kitchen table
I do have a full machine shop at work that I could have used, but sometimes doing things the old fashioned way is so much more satisfying. For something as simple as a bit of sanding, I just stick on some Pearl Jam and let the hours tick by!

That old kitchen table has seen a fair bit of abuse. It regularly has a whole pig or lamb on there being butchered. I prefer buying whole animals and butchering myself with the help of my 4 year old. Its cheaper, you know exactly where the animal has come from and how it was treated, you can butcher the actual joints you want, and in the process my daughter learns where her food comes from.
Doing your own butchering with a 4 year old is one of the most sensible things I have read in ages. Well done again.

We have an old stripped pine kitchen table, I have assembled motorbike engines on it, we have climbed end to end underside it on a Friday night, butchered things on it, both my children teethed on it, a Blue and Yellow Macaw once took a corner off and numerous dogs and cats have had a discreet nibble. It seats a comfortable 6 or more and has seen more wrongs righted and drinks drunk than I can remember. We have laughed and cried around it at different stages of our lives, right now I am writing this from it and I usually have a Labrador or Lurcher under it (They are eating right now) Kitchen tables rock.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Pippin89

#10 Post by Pippin89 »

Triffid wrote:Once you've got it fitted, can I suggest that you have the rifle pillar-bedded into the stock. I've got a Howa 308 in a Boyds thumbhole stock . . . pillar bedding turned it from a good rifle into an exceptional one.

Triffid
That's the plan. I want to get a shoot in with it first and make sure I am totally happy with the stock and then I will have it bedded properly.