Belt pulleys

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Belt pulleys

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

Taper locks:

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Engin ... tml?page=1

I use a cheapy optical tachometer for the lathes and mills, they work with a bit of reflective tape and are well worth the money.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#12 Post by bradaz11 »

Simply bearings and bearing boys are both companies I've used and recommend
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

bradaz11 wrote:Simply bearings and bearing boys are both companies I've used and recommend
Yes I have also used both companies before.
Alpha1

#14 Post by Alpha1 »

Ovenpaa wrote:Taper locks:

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Engin ... tml?page=1

I use a cheapy optical tachometer for the lathes and mills, they work with a bit of reflective tape and are well worth the money.
Cheers.
Alpha1

#15 Post by Alpha1 »

I found the pulley off the original motor today while trying to shoehorn the new bandsaw into the shed.
The one on the new motor is at least four times the size if not more than the original pulley.

teanews hmm so my next question is: Does anyone have any experience of broaching a keyway on an aluminium pulley.
davidh195
Past Supporter

#16 Post by davidh195 »

I would look on YouTube seems simple enough with a lathe, below is Tubalcain's version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR1pvQYFFck

David
I applaud your enthusiasm, even though your grip on reality may be somewhat tenuous......
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#17 Post by Ovenpaa »

Yes and probably exactly the same as the above video which I have not watched. On a light metal pulley it will be easy enough, just get the lathe in low range and I add a chuck key and wind the chuck around until it locks up against the bed to give a hard stop. The only thing I did was used a surface grinder to grind the broaching tool. Oh, don't turn the lathe on!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#18 Post by Alpha1 »

Sorted.
I gave the Lathe a good clean and overall.
I swapped the motor pulley for a smaller one. It runs OK a bit early to tell if it was a success. I am struggling to get into the shed and access the lathe safely.
Alpha1

#19 Post by Alpha1 »

It is not a success the lathe chuck runs faster but the chuck stalls and stops if I try and take even a small cut. The motor carries on turning but the belt just slips. The pulley on the lathe headstock drive is the original its less than 10mm wide. When I replaced the motor with a beefier one and an invertor I used the original drive belt. A mistake the belt is less than 1/4" wide and is obviously not up to the job. I have decided to make new pulleys and beef up the drive belt. I am not sure how I will attach the one on the headstock yet. But I have made a start on the pulley.
Alpha1

#20 Post by Alpha1 »

A picture.
5.jpg