Belt pulleys

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Belt pulleys

#21 Post by Alpha1 »

Working on this size pulley proved to be a chore with the lathe stalling all the time.
I made a brew and sat down on my stool with a packet of digestive biscuits and give it some thought. I was turning the original pulley around in my hand I noticed that the pulley had very small v shapes running all around the inside. I examined the pulley on the headstock and thats the same. I took the belt off and examined it the belt is less than a 1/4" wide but it has V shapes on the inside of the belt.
So I assumed they were there for a reason so I went to plan B.
I refitted the belt with a temporary small pulley. I then machined the original small pulley that was attached to the original motor to fit the new motors 5/8" driveshaft. I was not sure there would be enough meat on the pulley it was tight but we got there.
I fitted it tensioned the belt crossed my fingers and started the lathe. I chucked up a 5" long piece of 2" round aluminum bar stock I faced it off no issues I turned it around and faced the other end no issues.
I then took a light long pass along the length of the bar with no issues I slowly increased the depth of cut on each pass. I can take at least four times the depth of cut I was taking before with no issues
I could probably go deeper if I wanted to push it.
I repeated the exercise with a 30mm piece of bright steel with the same result.
YIPEE
lollol lollol lollol

I am a happy bunny I can now crack on with my projects. Except I have to go into work next week. There is all ways a downside. lol
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#22 Post by Dellboy »

Alpha1 wrote:Working on this size pulley proved to be a chore with the lathe stalling all the time.
I made a brew and sat down on my stool with a packet of digestive biscuits and give it some thought. I was turning the original pulley around in my hand I noticed that the pulley had very small v shapes running all around the inside. I examined the pulley on the headstock and thats the same. I took the belt off and examined it the belt is less than a 1/4" wide but it has V shapes on the inside of the belt.
So I assumed they were there for a reason so I went to plan B.
I refitted the belt with a temporary small pulley. I then machined the original small pulley that was attached to the original motor to fit the new motors 5/8" driveshaft. I was not sure there would be enough meat on the pulley it was tight but we got there.
I fitted it tensioned the belt crossed my fingers and started the lathe. I chucked up a 5" long piece of 2" round aluminum bar stock I faced it off no issues I turned it around and faced the other end no issues.
I then took a light long pass along the length of the bar with no issues I slowly increased the depth of cut on each pass. I can take at least four times the depth of cut I was taking before with no issues
I could probably go deeper if I wanted to push it.
I repeated the exercise with a 30mm piece of bright steel with the same result.
YIPEE
lollol lollol lollol

I am a happy bunny I can now crack on with my projects. Except I have to go into work next week. There is all ways a downside. lol

so the belt profile didnt fit the pulley ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#23 Post by Ovenpaa »

Good job then. Probably worth keeping an eye on bearing temperatures now. I use a digital IR thermometer that was under a tenner a couple of years ago. Of course that may have changed now.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#24 Post by Alpha1 »

Delboy The original motor that came with the lathe died. So I upgraded to a mutch larger motor and a invertor the spindle on the new motor is 5/8" with a keyway. The original motors spindle was about 8mm so the original pulley would not fit the new motor so I fitted one that had a 5/8" key way and thats when the problem started.
Any way its sorted now so onward and up ward.
lollol
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#25 Post by Dellboy »

Alpha1 wrote:Delboy The original motor that came with the lathe died. So I upgraded to a mutch larger motor and a invertor the spindle on the new motor is 5/8" with a keyway. The original motors spindle was about 8mm so the original pulley would not fit the new motor so I fitted one that had a 5/8" key way and thats when the problem started.
lollol

i get all that but the problem was the belt profile didnt match the pulley profile causing slip ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#26 Post by bradaz11 »

Dellboy wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:Delboy The original motor that came with the lathe died. So I upgraded to a mutch larger motor and a invertor the spindle on the new motor is 5/8" with a keyway. The original motors spindle was about 8mm so the original pulley would not fit the new motor so I fitted one that had a 5/8" key way and thats when the problem started.
lollol

i get all that but the problem was the belt profile didnt match the pulley profile causing slip ?
i think there were 3 pulleys - original - new - found.

original's hole too small for new motor.
new pulley on new motor wrong speed and slips.
found pulley wrong profile.
machine original to fit new motor, and works perfectly.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Alpha1

#27 Post by Alpha1 »

bradaz11 wrote:
Dellboy wrote:
lollol

i think there were 3 pulleys - original - new - found.

original's hole too small for new motor.
new pulley on new motor wrong speed and slips.
found pulley wrong profile.
machine original to fit new motor, and works perfectly.
Yep that's it in a nutshell. Just another learning curve.