Throat reamers.

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

andrew375

Re: Throat reamers.

#11 Post by andrew375 »

Also, the reamer will wear differently at different points, so if you are chambering many barrels you don't want to be sending your reamer away for regrinding or scrapping it just because one small part of the cutting edge is dulled. In mass production of barrels they are chambered (pre-cnc) on capstan or turret lathes and chamber cutting takes place in multiple stages with separate cutters for individual features.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#12 Post by Alpha1 »

I got to examine a throating reamer in 6.5x55 today.
I wish I had known about these 12 months ago it would have prevented me from scrapping a rifle with a Shilen 6.5x5 barrel fitted to a .308 action that caused me no end of problems.
Alpha1

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

I spent today reading Gordy Gritters Chambering rifles for accuracy. I recommend it a right good read. I watched a video of his technique,s in practice dialing in cutting the thread on the tennon and chambering a barrel blank.
Excellent.
Alpha1

#14 Post by Alpha1 »

I am excited if anyone has an unchambered 7.62 barrel blank or part of it does not have to be a full blank an off cut will do preferably the chamber end obviously they would like to donate so I can mutilate it let me know.
The Gun Pimp

#15 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Alpha1 wrote:I am excited if anyone has an unchambered 7.62 barrel blank or part of it does not have to be a full blank an off cut will do preferably the chamber end obviously they would like to donate so I can mutilate it let me know.
I can probably find you an old one - how long? You want it to go through the headstock with a spider? PM me on targetshooteronline@icloud.com
Alpha1

#16 Post by Alpha1 »

Thanks.