Throat reamers.

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Throat reamers.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

What is the purpose of a throat reamer and when and why would you use one.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Throat reamers.

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

Alpha1 wrote:What is the purpose of a throat reamer and when and why would you use one.
I would imagine a throat reamer could be used to increase freebore, so the cartridge overall length be increased to allow the bullet to be seated further out.I would hazard a guess that they would also be used for wildcat cartridges where a smaller calibre case is necked up to a larger calibre and would be used with a neck reamer.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

snayperskaya wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:What is the purpose of a throat reamer and when and why would you use one.
I would imagine a throat reamer could be used to increase freebore, so the cartridge overall length be increased to allow the bullet to be seated further out.I would hazard a guess that they would also be used for wildcat cartridges where a smaller calibre case is necked up to a larger calibre and would be used with a neck reamer.
And if the throat reamer was in 7.62x54R or .303 what would it be used for.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#4 Post by snayperskaya »

Alpha1 wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:
And if the throat reamer was in 7.62x54R or .303 what would it be used for.
To increase the freebore of those chamberings.......if you put "what are throat reamers used for" into Google it'll tell you everything you need to know :good:

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

The Gun Pimp

#5 Post by The Gun Pimp »

The freebore length depends on the shooter's chosen bullet. In FTR competition for example, most shooters use the 308Win (the 223 Rem is an option but rarely used) and a wide choice of bullet is in use.

My 308 reamer was ground to suit the 155gn Lapua Scenar - but, if I want to shoot the 200gn Berger, it would be pushed too far back into the case - thus compromising powder capacity.

The answer - a throating reamer - which would be used increase the freebore and allow a more favourable seating depth.

I have a couple of 308 reamers with different freebores to suit the bullets I use but most professional gunsmiths will have a zero freebore reamer and a throating reamer - which will cope with any shooter's chosen bullet.

Competition shooters are very particular to match bullet/seating depth/freebore combination.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

So pretty much what I said......

Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

Thanks.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

You're welcome

andrew375

#9 Post by andrew375 »

Sometimes a chamber reamer has only the features to cut the actual chamber. Cutting the throat separately gives control of the length of the throat and shape of the lead. In short you can have one chamber reamer but select multiple throat lengths and lead/ ball seat designs.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Alpha1

#10 Post by Alpha1 »

Thanks I get it now.