Action truing.

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Action truing.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

Am I right in thinking that an action would only be trued if it was going to be mated to a new barrel and you would not take an action off true it then refit it to the original barrel?
And likewise for the bolt.
The Gun Pimp

Re: Action truing.

#2 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Basically - yes. Especially if you are truing the tenon threads - which will open 'em up!

However, this is the bit that many gunsmiths overlook in the so-called 'blueprinting' process and most just stick to a skim off the face and skim the lugs - which will alter the headspace of course.

Paying a gunsmith to do a proper action blueprint would probably exceed the cost of a custom action and, when you come to sell your trued action - how does anyone know? It's still just a Remmy or WHY. Not worth it!

The bolt is another story - the big difference between a custon and factory action is the bolt/body fit - not much you can do about that (well there is but not now) except buy a custom-fit bolt - PT&G do them for Remington etc.

There are some great videos on You tube.
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

Yes I have been watching some of the youtube videoes that was what promted me to ask the question.
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

Another question. If you were rebarreling a rifle would you normally take the oportunity to true up the action and lugs and like wise the bolt face and lugs or would you just fit the barrel.
The Gun Pimp

#5 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Well, if it was say a Remington for someone who just wanted a new barrel for general shooting - I'd just fit the barrel.

Truing up the action lugs, tenon threads and action-face and bolt-lugs and boltface is as much work as fitting the barrel - I've done it for myself with Remingtons and a Howa but honestly, it's cheaper to start with a custom action - which will hold its value. A blueprinted Remmy is just a rattly old Remmy when you come to sell it.

Honestly - unless you intend to use the rifle for competitive benchrest - not worth bothering. I fitted a barrel to a Remmy last week chambered in 6mmCreedmoor and shot a 1.2 inch group with it at 600 yds - admittedly only three shot but the barrel only had 6 shots down it! No amount of truing is going to improve on that - 95% of accuracy is in the barrel with a modern bolt-gun.
Alpha1

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

Thanks.