Baikal 544 Disassembly Help

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

bobcat
Home club or Range: Private Land

Baikal 544 Disassembly Help

#1 Post by bobcat »

Hi all,

I was going to give my old Baikal and refinish put have never fully taken it down. So just thought I would ask here first.
I know the butt plate comes off and then I undo the screw in the stock but I am then not sure which pin to pop out.
So I took some photos and labeled them below. I think it is A but just wanted to double check

Any help greatly appreciated

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Baikal 544 Disassembly Help

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Step away from the pins, really, do not attempt to remove them as they hold the hammers in place if it is the model I am thinking of and if this is the case the hammer springs are a pig to compress and get back into place.

I strongly recommend not opening your Baikal up any further unless you have a very good reason. if you feel you must: (From memory) remove the trigger guard which exposes the rear screw, then slacken the lower front screw and tap the plate off. Finally, push the top lever over and remove the screw underneath if it exists, do not remove the top lever screw itself. Take care on reassembly as you can bind the safety, also the main springs have more energy than a small nuclear device :)

Is this a disk set striker model? If you get really stuck I can soon open one up here and take some pictures for you.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bobcat

#3 Post by bobcat »

Hi Ovenpaa

Thank you for your kind reply and help.I will step away from the pins, I don't really want to open it up I would just like to get the stock off to refinish it.
I really don't want to mess with the action if that can be helped.
I was hoping it would just slide off more or less place . I am not sure if it is disk strike model. I am not sure if I just undo the screw buried in the
stock If it would just slide of like the pic below ( I know it is not my model ).

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

If there is a screw deep in the stock slacken it off two or three turns, give the screwdriver a smart rap with your hand a smart rap and it should come apart with ease. The image above is not the most recent action.

Disk set strikers mean the firing pins (Strikers) are accessed from the breech face with a special tool which I have on my bench :) We had one come in where the owner had broken a striker and replaced it with a pop rivet, eventually half of the rivet went back and stopped the hammer from operating correctly which entailed stripping to virtually very last part a gun that was never intended to come apart.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bobcat

#5 Post by bobcat »

Many thanks Ovenpaa will give it go tomorrow. Pretty sure it has not got disk set stikers going to have google and learn a bot more about them.

Many thanks for your help.