Heat Treatment ovens

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Heat Treatment ovens

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Did I mention I was building myself a HT oven? Well the little Heat Treatment Oven has been in use for a while and I have been thinking about the process cycle time for a while so over the weekend we wound a new element with a calculated 2.5kWatts which should speed things up a bit.

First job was crunch some numbers and I use a spreadsheet for this, in fact I use spreadsheets for everything, even our RFD register! The advantage of the sheet is I can see what changes to the element length (Resistance) makes to things like the current draw and power. I can also experiment with different gauges of the Kanthal A-1 wire I use, which was handy as when I went to order the gauge used before, nobody stocked it in the length I needed.

A couple of entries on the sheet and I could instantly see if the alternative works and how much was needed. In the end I opted for 19AWG and ordered the wire.
The thing about the wire is it is just that, wire and not a heating coil so first job is clean it with acetone and wind it onto a mandrel on the small lathe. This is a bit of a two person job as having someone to hold and feed the wire to me saves potential kinks in the wire. Luckily the Viking was to hand as she usually is.

With the coil wound it was a simple matter of trimming it to final length and putting it in place, connecting in the terminal box and starting to test.

My target temperature for this test was 925-950 degrees centigrade (1700/1750F) This sort of temperature allows me to heat treat spring steels which I work with, a lot. Hence the target and I wanted to get to the target temperature in under half an hour with an empty oven, so testing was important if only to prove my maths were about right.

Starting at 25C the oven hit 100C in 42 seconds, 500C/932F in just under 4 minutes and I stopped the test at 925C/1697F at a bit under half an hour which was perfect.
The oven should be good for another 100-150C so maybe I can have a play at knife making one day.

The outside of the oven was cold to the touch at the 30 minute point however it was quite warm to the touch at 90 minutes, however it is not hot which was excellent.

On the subject of spreadsheets, I created a plot of time vs temperature which I can use as a reference. The highlighted areas are the spring hardening and tempering temperatures I tend to work with, however these are material dependant.

Finally, I know, I really should get around to putting some decent labels on the control cabinet. Maybe next year

As a final note, if you fancy having a bash at making your on HT oven, I am happy to share whatever information may be of use to you.
Calcs-for-HT.png
20201227_141322.jpg
20201226_142449.jpg
20201226_143439.jpg
20201227_124619.jpg
Oven-temperatures.png
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Heat Treatment ovens

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Well done. We use a lot of heating elements nothing like your set we have some hot boxes but we usually use the heaters to heat up tube. For example a 30 foot 2" diameter stainless tube fitted with band heaters split up into separate heating zones with individual temperature controls. Then the whole thing is lagged in so we don't get any heat loss. We run them at a constant temperature but can control the temperature we want them to run at the minimum temperature we run at is 350c. Ours are bought in but we fit them and set the up temperature controllers. We have quite a few they are controlled using a DCS computer set up.
I am impressed with your skill set got to hand it to you a regular jack of all trades. That temperature controller you are using looks very much like the ones we use on some of our smaller rigs.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: Heat Treatment ovens

#3 Post by Pippin89 »

Brilliant effort. I use a propane forge for knife making. The controllability of a H/T is very tempting at times though....