Pens

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Pens

#21 Post by snayperskaya »

Alpha1 wrote:I can not find the cases I am convinced I have a bag of them some were. But then I have mountains of stuff stashed all over the place. Anyway, I did the initial measurements using Wikipedia and some of the other components that will go into the pen. So unless someone is willing to donate a couple of cases and bullets the project is dead in the water.
Drop me a pm with your details and I’ll pop some cases etc in the post for you :good:
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#22 Post by Alpha1 »

Thank you that is a very generous offer. I will only accept if you let me pay for the cases and bullets plus postage. On the understanding that you accept the first two pens, they will be different.
I have reservations that the cases may be too short to create a workable rollerball. If it works you get the pens and you give me honest feedback and I quote you on where I sell my pens.
Which dictates whether I add them to my ------------- were I sell my pens.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#23 Post by snayperskaya »

Alpha1 wrote:Thank you that is a very generous offer. I will only accept if you let me pay for the cases and bullets plus postage. On the understanding that you accept the first two pens, they will be different.
I have reservations that the cases may be too short to create a workable rollerball. If it works you get the pens and you give me honest feedback and I quote you on where I sell my pens.
Which dictates whether I add them to my ------------- were I sell my pens.

Honestly mate I’m more than happy to send you the cases etc for free as they are cases that I’ve culled as they have been reloaded quite a few times now and I’ve bought a load of new brass and postage won’t be much any way :good:
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Alpha1

#24 Post by Alpha1 »

Thanks.
Alpha1

#25 Post by Alpha1 »

I received the cases and bullets many thanks for that. Initial measurements tell me that I can make three types of pens. So I intend to make one of each type and send them for approval to snayperskaya.
If he thinks they are OK I will add them to my portfolio and hopefully sell some. Other works permitting I am snowed under at the moment so it may take up to 14 days for me to get round to turning them.
Alpha1

#26 Post by Alpha1 »

Had a first stab at it today trying to line my tailstock up to drill a centred hole through the nose of a bullet was interesting. All in all not a very productive day. But it helped with the boredom I suppose.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#27 Post by Ovenpaa »

Drill from the base instead? having said that, we used to drill 1,2mm holes in meplats to enable them to be closed down further using a collet chuck.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#28 Post by Alpha1 »

I am holding them in a collet chuck. The notes I have been given say to trim the meplat flat then drill a small hole through the nose then turn the bullet around and drill a larger hole from the back. I suppose I could drill from the back. But it's really important the hole in the pointy end is central. I need to get it right I only have a small number of bullets to work with.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#29 Post by Ovenpaa »

Bung it in the chuck of the metal lathe and take a small cut across the meplat with you favourite right handed lathe tool. Job done and you can drill it at the same time. If you want to be really flash put a stop in the collet if it accepts one and face all of the projectiles off at the same length.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#30 Post by Alpha1 »

I could do that I suppose. It's too cold to be doing anything in the Shed at the moment. Luckily I have heating installed I have put it on low it should be toasty in there tomorrow.