Screw it

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Screw it

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am quite looking forward to this as it is an imperial job and I seldom if ever work in imperial. I need to make a batch of 'Coned Head' Screws and the drawing calls for them to be hardened so I will make a small handful and bung them through the HT oven, if all is OK I can make a few more. The pitch is 38.48 TPI which would be a nightmare usually, however I can program this pitch. The thread angle is 47.5 degrees so not one I hold however carbide inserts are but a call away. The slot will be done with a slitting blade held in an arbor with a collet on the manual lathe and I have a little 1MT Jacobs chuck that is held in a standard tool holder for holding the screws. The threads do not need to be timed so I can just wind the slide in with plenty of lubrication.

A sliding head lathe would be nice right now!
Coned Head Screw Dwg v1.PNG
The project? You can probably guess what it is already however I will not admit to it until everything is finished.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Screw it

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Should keep you out of mischief for a little while. Let us know how it goes.