Gauging bores

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Gauging bores

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

This little stunner arrived today. A gauge set spanning 10,0mm to 20,0mm diameter holes/bores up to a depth of 160,0mm, it came with the manufacturers inspection certificate dated 02 August 1964 by Feinmess Suhl of Germany plus some more recent calibration data. That gauge does indeed measure to 1 micron and a quick test in a gauge confirms it is accurate. The gauge is in my pocket at the moment to see how much it will move.

What will it be used for? Well measuring the ID's of holes of course!
20210202_124554.jpg
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Polchraine

Re: Gauging bores

#2 Post by Polchraine »

1 micron = 0.03937 thou that is rather small!

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#3 Post by FredB »

Which means that you can now measure rifle bores accurately. Slug the bore, turn up a simple ring gauge that the slug will just slide into: measure the hole in the ring gauge.
Fred
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#4 Post by Mattnall »

Bend over!
:o
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#5 Post by Alpha1 »

Ovenpaa wrote:This little stunner arrived today. A gauge set spanning 10,0mm to 20,0mm diameter holes/bores up to a depth of 160,0mm, it came with the manufacturers inspection certificate dated 02 August 1964 by Feinmess Suhl of Germany plus some more recent calibration data. That gauge does indeed measure to 1 micron and a quick test in a gauge confirms it is accurate. The gauge is in my pocket at the moment to see how much it will move.

What will it be used for? Well measuring the ID's of holes of course!
20210202_124554.jpg
Yes, I have something similar in fact I am not sure if I have more than one. I will probably never use it/them I will dig them out they may be of use to you. That's if I can find them my wife reckons I am an hoarder. Not really we just need a bigger house.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

They are Feinmess Suhl of Germany.

For head spacing I use Go/NOGO gauges, and for bores I use bore gauges. I also make my own gauges for all the obscure stuff such as .303 shoulder gauges, shoulder bump gauges and so on.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

#7 Post by mikygpu »

Ovenpaa wrote:They are Feinmess Suhl of Germany.

For head spacing I use Go/NOGO gauges, and for bores I use bore gauges. I also make my own gauges for all the obscure stuff such as .303 shoulder gauges, shoulder bump gauges and so on.
Where do you get your Go/No-Go gauges from? I need it for a 300 win mag. And other calibers.
How do you make your own? Aren't they suppose to come from a certified manufacturer?
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Nobody was born knowledgeable...Except Jesus!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#8 Post by Alpha1 »

Ovenpaa is a gun smith and a registered firearms dealer. He manufactures and sells shoulder bump gauges cartridge over all length gauges as well as lots of other shiny stuff. I would guess he uses bought in GO NO/GO gauges for barrel work. Check out his website The shooting Shed.

You will struggle to buy GO NO/GO gauges in the UK actually if you are a registered firearms dealer you may be able to purchase them but they wont normally sell them to some one not in the trade.
mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

#9 Post by mikygpu »

Alpha1 wrote:Ovenpaa is a gun smith and a registered firearms dealer. He manufactures and sells shoulder bump gauges cartridge over all length gauges as well as lots of other shiny stuff. I would guess he uses bought in GO NO/GO gauges for barrel work. Check out his website The shooting Shed.

You will struggle to buy GO NO/GO gauges in the UK actually if you are a registered firearms dealer you may be able to purchase them but they wont normally sell them to some one not in the trade.
Alpha1 I wasn't disputing Ovenpaa's abilities, he actually helped me a lot with a trigger on a FN action on a H&R rifle. And I read some of his posts on work he does and I actually was amazed of how much patience he has with guns.
My question is more from my background. In Ro and, in general, in Eastern Block, all things in relation to gunsmithing had to come from a Gov certified factory. In Ro there are only 2: Sadu and Cugir.
I am RFD and I was asking him where to go to get the go/no-go gauges PARTICULARLY BECAUSE I admire his work and how he does things.

I didn't know we, as RFDs and gunsmiths, can make our own stuff for verifying the guns and etc. I thought all those must come from BNP or proof house or something like that. The law is clear as mud in that respect.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Nobody was born knowledgeable...Except Jesus!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#10 Post by Pippin89 »

Lovely bit of kit! We have something similar at my work but it rarely gets used as the CMM makes it a little redundant these days sadly. I still break it out occasionally as its easier to set and use if I am just measuring 1 thing quickly.