Modding a Pietta New Model Army .44

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Modding a Pietta New Model Army .44

#1 Post by Dark Skies »

I've never really got on with my 8" barrelled Pietta .44
It was my first BP revolver and I got it for a knock down price that eventually included a Pietta parts kit to make it function properly. Can't grumble at that. However, I find it uncomfortable to shoot as I have clunky big hands that run out of grip. Worse than that the knuckle of my big sausage-like digit rubs against the rear of the trigger guard which is made even more uncomfortable by the weight of that long barrel.

So ... what I want to do is cut down the barrel to 4 3/8" which would bring the end of the muzzle down to just in front of the 'B' of Black Powder Only. Then I will re-work the existing stainless ramming lever to create a shorter proportioned version. I'm not worried about the practicalities of a much shorter lever as I have a bench press for reloading with the cylinder out of the gun. It will really only be there to keep the cylinder pin in place and to look in keeping with the original design.
Then I plan to locate / make or have made larger grips to accommodate my hand.

I was planning to cut the barrel down using the stainless steel cutting disc from my nine inch grinder mounted to one of my bench circular saws - so I can be sure of getting a true straight cut (cue horrified looks and comments).

So, my questions are these:
Has anyone done this before? How did it go?
Does anyone know how the pillar foresight is held in place? I'm guessing soldered but it may be screwed into a tapped hole.
Same goes for the latch retainer for the ramming lever - soldered or screwed?
And finally, anyone know of somewhere that makes larger grips for this model?

Cheers in advance.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Modding a Pietta New Model Army .44

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Just get a Quote from The Shooting Shed and get it done properly.
Dark Skies

#3 Post by Dark Skies »

Alpha1 wrote:Just get a Quote from The Shooting Shed and get it done properly.
I want a project to play with. This is an unloved gun I can afford to fiddle with for fun.
Aside from that if I wanted to throw money about I could just flog this one and buy the shorter 5 1/2 barrelled version.
Dunno if you're aware of this but we're all in lockdown for the foreseeable future - driving up to Lincolnshire for such matters isn't going to be likely until the end of June. Maybe. If things don't go tits up (again) before then.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

just a word of warning

grinder discs explode if spun too fast!

is your circular saw the same speed or slower than your grinder? if not, do not do it. the hydraulic press channel's spin off channel beyond the press have some impressive high speed vids of discs exploding. not something I want to be near,

I'm on the verge of doing the same to one of my pistols, but it's a different design (colt 1860) and I don't need the front sight, so its a bit different.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Dark Skies

#5 Post by Dark Skies »

bradaz11 wrote:just a word of warning

grinder discs explode if spun too fast!

is your circular saw the same speed or slower than your grinder? if not, do not do it. the hydraulic press channel's spin off channel beyond the press have some impressive high speed vids of discs exploding. not something I want to be near,

I'm on the verge of doing the same to one of my pistols, but it's a different design (colt 1860) and I don't need the front sight, so its a bit different.
Good point. My grinder runs at 6,000 rpm whilst the circular saw runs at 5,000 rpm top whack - it has a variable speed control too, allowing me to tick along at slower speeds. The standard cutting saw blade is 210mm although I can fit larger blades if I wish (bringing the rpm down the larger I go).
The cutting disc is 230mm so I guestimate the rpm would be in the ballpark of 4,000 rpm with that fitted. In any event I have a safety margin of 1,000 rpm.

It's got a laser cutting guide too. Which is nice.

Now that you mention foresights ... there's no reason I couldn't do away with the original foresight and silver solder a brass post akin to the Colt 1851 Navy for simplicity.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#6 Post by Alpha1 »

Let us know how you get on post some pictures.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

I did one with a birds Head Grip a long while ago and have another in right now to be done. A hacksaw, file and patience would get the job done and no need for power tools. the crown can be squared with a file and engineers square.

Get it done!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Dark Skies

#8 Post by Dark Skies »

Ovenpaa wrote:I did one with a birds Head Grip a long while ago and have another in right now to be done. A hacksaw, file and patience would get the job done and no need for power tools. the crown can be squared with a file and engineers square.

Get it done!
Yes, I seem to recall, now you mention it. It may have been yours that sowed the seed in my noggin.

And ... check this out. I haver a roadmap now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=monbm21UqQ0

I wish Mike Beliveau was my dad.
Dark Skies

#10 Post by Dark Skies »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7A0HJz ... uelist1954

Holding the cylinder pin in with a screw instead of the ramming lever appeals for simplicity.
I note Mike left the hole for the lever as is. I think I will fill that in with some stainless round bar silver soldered in place.