Target Rifle Rear Sight

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

kevinww

Target Rifle Rear Sight

#1 Post by kevinww »

I've decided that I want to have a go at Full Bore TR after reasonable success with a Small Bore, so a Month or two ago I had a Barnard P based barrelled action built with the plan to build my own adaptor plate to fit into my Grunig and Elmiger stock.

Whilst I was waiting for it to arrive I started trying to get sights sorted out. Well there in the mission starts, foresights not much problem, but rear sights are like rocking horse poop, the only ones i could find still being made were Centra LR, but only a couple of sources in UK and all out of stock, plus I'm not overly impressed with them as all held together with little grub screws.

However whilst researching rear sights I found some great pictures of a Warner sight for sale and managed to garner nearly all dimensions i need to make my own.

So that is what i did, for threads i sourced a couple of cheap Chinese metric micrometers, not much good for measuring stuff but perfect for my needs as I robbed the Spindle and nuts it as gives 2 MOA per turn and 8 clicks on the knobs gives 1/4 MOA resolution, still got some work to do to finish them of and get them anodised black and graduations marked, but first test fit looks real good.
008s.jpg
011s.jpg
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Target Rifle Rear Sight

#2 Post by 1066 »

Excellent job - and full marks for repurposing the mics. goodjob
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

That is impressive well done. A cracking job.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#4 Post by Pippin89 »

Thats fantastic. Well done. I have a AJ Parker rear sight on mine which is good but just looking a little tired so I am temped to reverse engineer it to make my own.
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Superb work there.You can come and work with me any day!.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
kevinww

#6 Post by kevinww »

Ovenpaa wrote:Superb work there.You can come and work with me any day!.
High praise indeed, but i don't think i could manage the commute every day.

A bit more work has been done, graduation plates have been added and knobs had graduations added.
Rearsight1.png
Rearsight2.png
kevinww

#7 Post by kevinww »

As part of the same project I've also built and adapter plate to allow a Barnard P acion to be dropped into my
Grunig Hybrid 3000 stock.
Base_Plate.png
Base_Plate2.png
Action Mounted.png

#8 Post by 1066 »

Very nice work indeed... Did you etch the scale? The only thing I would change is replace the scale plate screw with a stainless flanged Allen screw.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
kevinww

#9 Post by kevinww »

1066 wrote:Very nice work indeed... Did you etch the scale?
Scale was engraved, made a little jig to hold the plate in machine vice and made a sharp V shaped tool out of round tool steel and mounted in mill chuck and locked the spindle, then just incremented slides to cut lines a few thou deep.

Screws are only what I had kicking about so will change them as and when I get replacements.
jcev39

#10 Post by jcev39 »

Without wishing to go off topic too far, firstly the sights look great!

I was wondering if you could give me the dimensions of the G&E action mounting bolt holes (the 4/6 holes used to bolt the action to the stock)? The reason for asking is that, at first glance, they look very similar to the mounting holes on my PalmaMaster action and I'm looking to replace my stock - the original AI one is a MASSIVE bit of laminate(!) - but I can't find dimensions of any other actions!

Very few stocks seem to be available for the AI but it seems both G&E and Bleiker have very similar looking bases...

Thanks in advance.

John