Blueing of barrels

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

Blueing of barrels

#1 Post by mikygpu »

Another q for gunsmiths
Cold blueing?
Hot blueing?
Or Cerakote-ing?
I have seen a lot of cerakote offers from ?commercial? gunsmiths lately and as I don't do any blueing (yet), I am wondering what is best?
Some say cold blueing is as good as hot blueing
Some other say the hot is the best.
Other advocate cerakote.
What do you all OLD gunsmiths think?
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Nobody was born knowledgeable...Except Jesus!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

Re: Blueing of barrels

#2 Post by waterford103 »

Hot rust blue is the best bar none .
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#3 Post by FredB »

Rust blue is the best,followed by hot blue.
Fred
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#4 Post by Dark Skies »

I've had the best and most consistently reliable results via hot blue (done myself in a very dodgy outdoor setup).
But having said that I have had one really good result using cold blue on a Mosin Nagant barrel which turned out so well that nobody could tell it wasn't a factory finish. As ever whichever route you go it all boils down to preparation and cleanliness.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Jorden
Home club or Range: ponteland

#5 Post by Jorden »

Hot blueing is best, but have had good results from Phillips cold blue, trick is to make sure steel is surgically clean, get it warm (soak in hot water before blueing) and rinse in boiling water afterwards, soak in wd40 or similar and do not rub surface for at least an hour then clean and oil with Ballistol.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Hot blacking is probably the easiest and most common here in the UK, hot nitre salt bluing is a different thing and dreadful, I truly believe it is a finish that should never be applied to any part of an English gun. Rust blacking gives the best finish in my opinion. Cold bluing is OK for small parts and we use Philips undiluted, in fact we usually keep half a dozen tubs on the shelf as they sell well.

Get hold of a copy of 'Firearm blueing and Blacking' by R.H.Angier. If it is not in there it is probably not worth doing.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

#7 Post by mikygpu »

Ovenpaa wrote:Hot blacking is probably the easiest and most common here in the UK, hot nitre salt bluing is a different thing and dreadful, I truly believe it is a finish that should never be applied to any part of an English gun. Rust blacking gives the best finish in my opinion. Cold bluing is OK for small parts and we use Philips undiluted, in fact we usually keep half a dozen tubs on the shelf as they sell well.

Get hold of a copy of 'Firearm blueing and Blacking' by R.H.Angier. If it is not in there it is probably not worth doing.
Many thanks Ovenpaa.
Great advice as always.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Nobody was born knowledgeable...Except Jesus!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)