Fitting a No32 Mk1 to a Pattern 14 rifle

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: Fitting a No32 Mk1 to a Pattern 14 rifle

#11 Post by GeeRam »

Ovenpaa wrote: Interestingly, the drawing called for 4BA coned head screws or D.D.(E)2441/5 Screw, Holder and that drawing just happens to be for the 4(T) bracket (Another fiver I owe Paul!) Which makes me wonder why they chose to design a bracket for the Rifle, No3 Mk1 (P14) when the H&H modified No4 Mk(T) was already in place. My personal view is the P14 is an inherently accurate rifle and the one I have would easily out shoot the 4(T) I used to own. The downside was always spares for the P14, plus the ‘limited’ magazine capacity and a whole host of other things.
They were using the P14 in 1940 at the start of the sniper program, post Dunkirk, and continued to use them in the sniper training schools after the introduction of the 4T, so perhaps they were looking at retrofitting them with a 32 scope and 4T style bracket to be closer in spec to the 4T so as to not be a big jump for the new snipers between what they trained on and what they were going to be using for real?
I suspect by the time they got around to finishing the design etc., there were enough pre-H&H converted ex-trials 4T's assembled that could then be used in the sniper schools as the 'production' H&H 4T's were being issued?

Just a thought.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Fitting a No32 Mk1 to a Pattern 14 rifle

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

A good thought GeeRam. The original drawing for this is dated just 10 days after the Germans invaded France although I suspect the concept had already been considered. What we will probably never know is was this a parallel project to the 4(T) or simply a raining aid. My view is the former. I will try and find some time over then next few days and get it attached to the rifle and zeroed.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal