.22 Hornet muzzle thread issue.

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

.22 Hornet muzzle thread issue.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

A friend of mine recently acquired a very nice rifle in .22 Hornet it came screw cut for a moderator. A moderator silencer or what ever they are called. Any way he attempted to screw the moderator on the rifle it went on so far then jammed. We were both at a Club range so he asked me to have a look. I think the rifle and moderator are two different threads. He asked if it could be sorted out my answer was yes you can buy a moderator with the correct thread or get the rifle muzzle re threaded. The obvious choice would be a new moderator. He asked if I could identify the thread for him. I'm guessing the two threads are 5/8x18 tpi and 5/8x24 tpi.
As I am not a registered firearms dealer or gunsmith and I don't have a slot for a .22 hornet I decided to make some gauges and take them along to our next shoot along with a couple of sets of thread gauges just in case I have got it wrong.
So into the Shed I went I retrieved some suitable pieces of bar stock and set to. The bar stock is part of Davids at The Shooting Sheds scrap bin.
I made these male and female threaded gauges to check the threads.
One set in 5/8x18tpi and one set in 5/8x24tpi. The fluted bit is not my work that's Davids from the Shooting Shed. I tried fluting mine but it was a disaster. I must ask him how he does it.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: .22 Hornet muzzle thread issue.

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Good work there and I am pleased someone has put our bits of scrap to good use. Last time I offered some on the local village group people were only interested in it to weigh it in.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#3 Post by Daryll »

On a similar vein, how easy/expensive would it be to make a 1/2UNEF to 1/2UNF adaptor..?

I'm toying with getting a "pretendy AR" (as someone once called them :D) which is threaded 1/2x28

I already have a moderator which is 1/2x20, so I need an adaptor with a female 1/2x28 thread, and a male 1/2x20 thread.

I have seen these on the Bay of E, but most seem very expensive, and posted from the US with stupid delivery charges.

TIA

Daryll.
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

Daryll wrote:On a similar vein, how easy/expensive would it be to make a 1/2UNEF to 1/2UNF adaptor..?

I'm toying with getting a "pretendy AR" (as someone once called them :D) which is threaded 1/2x28

I already have a moderator which is 1/2x20, so I need an adaptor with a female 1/2x28 thread, and a male 1/2x20 thread.

I have seen these on the Bay of E, but most seem very expensive, and posted from the US with stupid delivery charges.

TIA

Daryll.
That got me thinking the thread could be 1/2x20tpi or 1/2x28tpi so to cover all the bases its time to make a couple more gauges.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#5 Post by Daryll »

For a .22 calibre rifle it probably will be 1/2 inch... 20tpi for european and 28tpi if its an American rifle..
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

#6 Post by shoppe »

Just use a set of calipers ,TPI gauges and a zeus chart book. It has worked for many years. This will save you a lot of work
Alpha1

#7 Post by Alpha1 »

shoppe wrote:Just use a set of calipers ,TPI gauges and a zeus chart book. It has worked for many years. This will save you a lot of work
Yes you are right except I don,t have access to the rifle. I will be able to do that at our next range day but that's two weeks away. In the mean time I need some thing to take my mind off being locked up most of the time. And its all good practice. Its peaceful in my shed and the tea and biscuits help. Now the Covid thing is easing up I can start thinking about my new shed again.
I have settled on a 12x8 foot jobby.
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

#8 Post by shoppe »

Anything that helps with the current situation has to be a good thing.

Its good to have a shed to escape to.
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

shoppe wrote:Just use a set of calipers ,TPI gauges and a zeus chart book. It has worked for many years. This will save you a lot of work
I looked I could not find an entry for 1/2X28 tpi in the Zeus chart book unless I have missed some thing. Not that it matters I am perfectly capable of gutting the thread. I just looked out of interest I was bored. I have rummaged in the stock bin. (The contents of the Shooting Sheds Scrap bin) and found some suitable material so over the week end I have a project to make some more gauges.

Davids scrap bin contents are a joy to behold in my opinion and I am all ways keen to grab some when they are available. I can see what they were intended to be in most cases. A lot of them I can not fathom why they are not up to snuff and why they were scrapped. But what is more important to me is a hands on bit of kit that I can examine and see how its been done.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

Alpha1 wrote:Davids scrap bin contents are a joy to behold in my opinion and I am all ways keen to grab some when they are available. I can see what they were intended to be in most cases. A lot of them I can not fathom why they are not up to snuff and why they were scrapped. But what is more important to me is a hands on bit of kit that I can examine and see how its been done.
Call it distant learning. You can take over when I retire.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal