Tin bashing/smithing

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Tin bashing/smithing

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Does anyone here do tin bashing, sheet metal work as a hobby or for a living? I have always fancied having a bash at folding and bending metal and fancy giving it a go with aluminium. The thing is I have no idea what I want to make, or what I need to make it with. I have a 20,000kg hydraulic press, an AC/DC tig welder and some machines so I can do all the bits other than the tin bit...

Anyone?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
andrew375

Re: Tin bashing/smithing

#2 Post by andrew375 »

Sheet metal workers serve long apprenticeships and the ones I've met are gifted with the ability to "see" in 3 dimensions, in their minds, the finished article laid out flat. To start out try making what you want from card.

The main issue with aluminium is that it work hardens with only a small amount of working. This requires regular annealing. The classic way of judging the annealing temperature is by rubbing some soap on the surface, when the soap turns black the metal is annealed. A better material for starting out is thin copper sheet.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#3 Post by Pippin89 »

I forge knives in any spare time I get. Its a great hobby and good stress relief.

#4 Post by 1066 »

Ovenpaa wrote:The thing is I have no idea what I want to make, or what I need to make it with.

Anyone?
Pellet catcher or proper working bell target?
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#5 Post by FredB »

Folding and bending is one thing; panel beating to form complex shapes is another. Simple bending machines for working with flat plate are available from Machine Mart and work very well; they can also supply panel beaters hammers and dollies, but you need to find your own tree stump to hammer on if you are serious about complex shapes. Thirty- odd years ago, i beat out headlamp surrounds for my sons MG Midget which was his home restoration project when he was doing his apprenticeship in the motor industry. A lot of patience and trial and error was needed but they came out OK.
Flat sheet foldong is easy if you have the right equipment. I wouldn't suggest forking out for a press=brake to start with, but if you do get into it, you will want one.
Fred
greenshoots

#6 Post by greenshoots »

buy a landrover to restore green55

greenshoots
Green by Design
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Heh, I have a Landrover already. I was thinking more along the lines (No pun intended)of cutting and folding things as opposed to complex forms. I spent many happy hours bothering a tin basher back in the 1970s and it always fascinated me. I have made parts for older motorbikes and have a need for a tin for my P14 bracket and 'scope, making a square edged one is not beyond the realms of my imagination. It would serve as good practice for my Tig welding on thin material as well.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal