Fitting Hushpower Moderator To A Single Barrel .410

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

millemigliadave
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Fitting Hushpower Moderator To A Single Barrel .410

#1 Post by millemigliadave »

Hi, I am aware of the minimum s2 shotgun requirement of a 24" barrel. Hushpower sell a retrofit moderator that is 9" long. However a 33' barrel on a light bolt action .410 doesn't appeal - too long to fit in my safe for a start!

My question is... can a gunsmith cut the 24" barrel of my old Spanish bolt action .410 down and permanently fit the Hushpower (using Loctite or similar) for a finished length of 24" and stay legal? I am aware that it may require reproof if being sold again but I have no plans to do that at the moment.

Thanks in advance!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Fitting Hushpower Moderator To A Single Barrel .410

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Yes (In theory) as long as the barrel length returns to 24"+ and Loctite is not really a permanent solution. The only issue I can think of it their sound mod (From memory) has baffles extending past the end of the barrel so you will need a bit of a design change.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
millemigliadave

#3 Post by millemigliadave »

Ovenpaa wrote:Yes (In theory) as long as the barrel length returns to 24"+ and Loctite is not really a permanent solution. The only issue I can think of it their sound mod (From memory) has baffles extending past the end of the barrel so you will need a bit of a design change.
Thank you - I'm open to other solutions, the end goal is to have a .410 that I can use on my land without creating a disturbance to neighbours or livestock. I guess the slip on mod from Hushpower is the simplest route and I can remove it to put the gun away in the safe, but I'd prefer a more permanent approach and one that doesn't make the gun over-long.
Rockhopper

#4 Post by Rockhopper »

When Facebook used to allow sales of shotguns there were no end of .410 Hushpowers for sale for not much money. Might be cheaper to do that then get yours modified?
millemigliadave

#5 Post by millemigliadave »

Rockhopper wrote:When Facebook used to allow sales of shotguns there were no end of .410 Hushpowers for sale for not much money. Might be cheaper to do that then get yours modified?
Yes, the economics of that certainly make sense - however its a bit of a 'project' for me, having picked up the .410 in basically good shape for 25 quid I decided to use it as a base. Good point though!