Ebonite rod

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Ebonite rod

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

I have acquired some ebonite rod approx. 22mm round cut to 6 inch lengths. It machines really well and polishes up a treat. It will take a thread but it needs to be cut using very sharp tooling and run at high speed. It smells when machining so extract is a good idea and a face covering like an air fed mask helps.
I had a commission for a leaving present they wanted the item in some thing different it turned out really well. I will be using ebonite again. I have added it to my choice of materials.
Polyester I have stopped using horrible stuff very brittle a night mare to turn and finish.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Ebonite rod

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Urgh, ebonite is horrible to machine and the black dust gets everywhere. I use an extractor mask with posative pressure and filters.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

It sands easily and polishes up to a superb finish especially if you finish it off on the lathe using buffing wheels.
Alpha1

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

This is the sort of Ebonite I work with not your horrible black stuff.
ebonite.jpg