M18x1 Tap drill size

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: M18x1 Tap drill size

#11 Post by Alpha1 »

As I have already made them and I don,t really have any spare time to make them again he will have to put up with Aluminium or wait weeks until I have a slack period. I have one more gun related job to turn then I can get back to making pens and make some proper money.
My knurling tool is to big for my lathe I need to source a replacement the one I have does not fit in any of my tool holders I had to cobble up a make shift tool holder that was far from satisfactory. I was on edge the whole time I was using it which is not good.

The 17mm tap drill size worked by the way.
Alpha1

#12 Post by Alpha1 »

He is busting at the seams with is new muzzle protectors. I have ordered a new knurling tool. My latest project has been approved by her that should be obeyed I have the funds sanctioned for my new lathe. I just need a suitable building to house it. teanews hmm.
kevinww

#13 Post by kevinww »

Alpha, as a very quick rule of thumb for all metric threads, tapping drill is thread diameter minus pitch, so in your case M18 - 1 so 17mm tapping drill. It works for nearly all metric threads.
Alpha1

#14 Post by Alpha1 »

Thanks.
Alpha1

#15 Post by Alpha1 »

The new knurling tool arrived its pap. I bought it from a Company that sells small hobby lathes its typical Chinese. Its the scissor type. I managed to knurl the part but it was a right faff on. I suppose you get what you pay for. It was cheap.
What type of knurling tool do you guys prefer what works for you.

Any way its back to pens the orders are stacking up Xmas is coming I have upped my prices and people are happily paying me I must of been selling them to cheap.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#16 Post by Sim G »

RPA, who use a plastic thread protector, once told me to always have your thread protector of a softer material than the thread. Take a sufficient enough knock on a steel protector and it's a hammer against the threads.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!