Pin chucks

If you are making it or modifying it, repairing it or restoring it, it goes in here.

Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: Pin chucks

#11 Post by Alpha1 »

This is a pin chuck.
pin chuck.jpg
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#12 Post by strangesam »

I'm assuming you have access to a milling machine (or even just a file and elbow grease), they look simple enough to make with some bar stock and a supply of pins from somewhere like accu.

Did google for them and only found one supplier in the UK, who custom made them to fit a particular lathe (and only appeared to make ones circa 25mm dia).

I suspect thats why no-one sells them.
Alpha1

#13 Post by Alpha1 »

Yes I have a milling machine and a couple of lathes.
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#14 Post by strangesam »

Doesn't need an angle, if its flat the pin will roll one way with clockwise, and the other with anticlockwise and still jam.
Alpha1

#15 Post by Alpha1 »

strangesam wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:42 pm Doesn't need an angle, if its flat the pin will roll one way with clockwise, and the other with anticlockwise and still jam.
Yes that,s right and they actually worked for my application. Once I was able to find out what they were and how they worked. If you have a Mill they are a doddle to make. I am using them to hold exotic woods and acrylic blanks turned to round with a hole partially drilled leaving a blank end that I can turn to round in the lathe 4 jaw. Using a ball turning tool. (Home made)
But you don,t want to know about that. (Wrong forum)